Law Students > L.L.M. Board

Is an LLM worth it?

(1/3) > >>

lawyerintraining:
Is it worth the time and costs? Would it still be worth it if gotten from an online school life taft after getting the JD from an ABA school like regent?

jonlevy:
A specialized LLM in Tax might worth it but if it were an online I am not sure it would add much unless you acquired practice experience first.

Tofayel:
In job field, value of online degree is too minimum. But in law profession has private practice scope, so you may take online LLM program.

jonlevy:
In other words, pass the bar and get some practice experience first before pursuing a LLM in Tax.  Otherwise you can work for TurboTax as a Tax Advisor, they want to hire attorneys at $16-$18 an hour!!

FalconJimmy:

--- Quote from: jonlevy on December 11, 2011, 09:22:20 AM ---In other words, pass the bar and get some practice experience first before pursuing a LLM in Tax.  Otherwise you can work for TurboTax as a Tax Advisor, they want to hire attorneys at $16-$18 an hour!!

--- End quote ---

He said unless it's an online LLM in TAx.

Also, that turbotax ad was for all sorts of people, not just attorneys.  I'd like to see some proof that they actually hired a licensed attorney for $16 an hour.

If you get a real LLM in Tax from a real program, your employment prospects are greatly enhanced.  My best friend got an LLM in Tax way back in the day and he's never been without options.  LLM in Tax is a good deal.  The best way, of course, is to get a job doing tax law and get them to sponsor you through an LLM Program because they can be expensive.  However, even if you had to do it on your own dime, it'd pay off eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version