Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Regent Law  (Read 2471 times)

lawyerintraining

Regent Law
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »
I hear that Regent views and teaches law from a christian perspective. Is this true? I ask since all of my prelaw classes have been teaching me things from a secular perspective and it would be interestign and refreshing to learn how Christian lawyers view the law and constitutionality of things like abortion, gay marriage, right to die, etc.

Do they teach the same stuff with a cross in the hall, or is it unique? If so how? Is it worth attending?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Regent Law
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
It is true.  If you apply to Regent you'll need a recommendation from your clergy.  I'm not being sarcastic, really- your reverend must sign off.

I know they have taken some heat for mixing religion and law the way they do.  There are other religious school, like St. Marys and such, but they don't mix religion into the curriculum like Regent does.  Bush took heat for hiring many Regent grads because they basically have to be a fundamental christian and, of course republican.

Their perspective on abortion, gay marriage and right to die:  Bad, unholy bad, and bad- respectively.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:35:29 PM »
what is their opinion on those and how are said opinions unholy?
I'm assumming they are against abortion. Would it be more holy to kill babies? Can you find the verse that is for it?

It is true.  If you apply to Regent you'll need a recommendation from your clergy.  I'm not being sarcastic, really- your reverend must sign off.

I know they have taken some heat for mixing religion and law the way they do.  There are other religious school, like St. Marys and such, but they don't mix religion into the curriculum like Regent does.  Bush took heat for hiring many Regent grads because they basically have to be a fundamental christian and, of course republican.

Their perspective on abortion, gay marriage and right to die:  Bad, unholy bad, and bad- respectively.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 11:26:01 PM »
Dude.  Yet again I have to ask: wtf are  you talking about?  Abortion?  Verse? Kill babies?  I wasn't giving my opinion on those issues or saying what I think is right or wrong.

You asked about Regent, that's what I've heard. Very stereotypically fundamental Christian.  If you want to know what I think, then yeah its bad to polarize issues so absolutely in a profession like the law- a profession based on compromise, logic and argument. 

As to the issues themselves, whether I agree or disagree- totally immaterial.  I see people all the time who I may agree with on an issue, I may also think they are unethical by doing things like, say making all attendees sign a waiver of loyalty at a town hall. I don't want to deal with this creepy law of the excluded middle crap.  If you want me to quantify that I can, but why?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

justanothersucker

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »
This was your sentence "Their perspective on abortion, gay marriage and right to die:  Bad, unholy bad, and bad- respectively."

There you go winner.

Dude.  Yet again I have to ask: wtf are  you talking about?  Abortion?  Verse? Kill babies?  I wasn't giving my opinion on those issues or saying what I think is right or wrong.

You asked about Regent, that's what I've heard. Very stereotypically fundamental Christian.  If you want to know what I think, then yeah its bad to polarize issues so absolutely in a profession like the law- a profession based on compromise, logic and argument. 

As to the issues themselves, whether I agree or disagree- totally immaterial.  I see people all the time who I may agree with on an issue, I may also think they are unethical by doing things like, say making all attendees sign a waiver of loyalty at a town hall. I don't want to deal with this creepy law of the excluded middle crap.  If you want me to quantify that I can, but why?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Yup, it was. Once again I ask, as usual- What is your point there, genius? Followed by- You need a hug?

That is there stance on those issues.  I was being playful and insulting to their polar and absolute views. Them, not the issues. You do need a hug.  Stay there, here I come.

justanothersucker

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
You got B- written all over you kid. Enjoy those 1L finals kid. "But Prof what I said ain't what I meant"

Yup, it was. Once again I ask, as usual- What is your point there, genius? Followed by- You need a hug?

That is there stance on those issues.  I was being playful and insulting to their polar and absolute views. Them, not the issues. You do need a hug.  Stay there, here I come.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »
Ok there must be thoughts going on in your head that you are leaving out.  There must be.  That makes no sense.

justanothersucker

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
you confusion says all that need be said.

Ok there must be thoughts going on in your head that you are leaving out.  There must be.  That makes no sense.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »
Yup, I'm a dumbass and you're a logical, coherent genius.