Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sports Agent  (Read 1315 times)

Pdukes

• View Profile
    • Email
Sports Agent
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Any one have luck after law school entering into the field as an NFL agent?

I love the game and this is the next best thing other than playing for me.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sports Agent
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
Any one have luck after law school entering into the field as an NFL agent?

I love the game and this is the next best thing other than playing for me.

I can only speculate an answer and am only answering because nobody else has.

Being an agent for NFL players is a career that would only appeal to the following types of people:

1.  People who like to work with celebrities.
2.  People who like the NFL.
3.  People who want to get 15% of the negotiated salary of a handful of NFL players.

Basically, it might be easier to make a list of people who would NOT want to be a sports agent, than it would be to make a list of people who would want to be.

That would seem to indicate an exceptionally hypercompetitive environment. 

I really can't even claim secondhand knowledge on something like this, but would imagine that getting a job at a place like IMG is hypercompetitive.  It's probably easier to get into biglaw.

Just my poorly-informed opinion on the subject.  Take it for what it's worth.  I'd say keep this as a goal, but have a very strong plan B in mind.

lawschoolsurvival

• View Profile
    • Law School Survival
Re: Sports Agent
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
To be realistic, you probably will never meet a sports agent, let alone become one.

To be a sports agent, you need at least one professional athlete as a client, and will probably have more than one such client.

Now, think of the odds of becoming a professional athlete... the odds aren't good. There are few such jobs available.

Thus, the odds of becoming a sports agent are even smaller because there just aren't enough clients out there.
www.LawSchoolSurvival.org  - Tips, tricks, and strategies for surviving law school and the bar exam.