Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova, Rutgers, Drexel, or Dickinson?  (Read 2043 times)

MT2014

• View Profile
Villanova, Rutgers, Drexel, or Dickinson?
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:35 PM »
If you were a transfer applicant, which of these colleges would you accept admission to and why?  All are in the Philadelphia area and would have roughly the same tuition requirements. 

I was fortunate enough to receive admission to the schools mentioned and am having a tough time deciding on where to go.  Three of the schools offer clinics in my field of interest and outside of that there is not much difference except for the lower tuition at Temple.

Where should I go to be the most competitive applicant in the Philadelphia area?

I was set on one school but it just seems that some schools seem to get more attention in terms of name recognition despite there all being similarly ranked, i.e., T2 in the top 60-80. Given this seemig higher reputation some schools garner then others, I was wondering if this might factor in favorably or negatively in my job search depending on what school I settle on?

Any help is appreciated.

kjw5029

• View Profile
Re: Villanova, Rutgers, Drexel, or Dickinson?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:48 AM »
Dickenson is kinda far from Philly (3 hrs or so, I went to PSU).  I don't know how much weight it pulls if you're trying to work in the Philly area.  I'm from the Philadelphia area, and Villanova is the most prestigious of the schools you listed.  If I were in your shoes (presuming you got into all of the above), I would choose Villanova hands down. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
In reality all those schools are equal unless Drexel hasn't received accreditation yet. Otherwise they are basically the same. The rankings are irrelevant outside if the TOP schools Harvard, Yake etc. The other schools low tier 1 to tier 4 schools can literally jump 20 spots any given year. If you go to the u.s news ranking you will see almost all schools are in 5-10 way toe my favorite is the 11 way tie for 84th.

The reason for these ties and fluctuations are because the rankings make no sense. The majority of the rankings 60 percent is based on judges around the country filling out scantrons from 1-5 with no critera. So a judge in sf that has never been to philly says Villanova is a 3 one year then a 2 the next. You can see this makes little sense and that is why the aba, lsac, the sale and any legitimate organization adamantly disapproves of them. U.S news is literally nothing more than a for profit magazine offering their subjective opinion with no authority.

So bottom line is go to the school that is cheapest unless one of those schools has some e ceptio al professor clinic etc. Do not transfer from the 73 to the 52nd schoolsnd pay more money, because it is very possible by the time you graduate that the school transferred from will be higher ranked than the school you transferred to. Even if it isn't nobody cares about 63 or 73rd place.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
While what was said about rankings may be true, having lived in Philly suburbs for 24 yrs, I can say without reservation that Villanova historically pulls more weight in the job market than the other mentioned schools.  IMO for identical candidates minus the law school attended, an employer would select a Villanova grad over any other of the mentioned schools.

just my 2c

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
Having not been to Philly I imagine your right about that. I'm sure everywhere there is a school that is slightly higher and if there is no cost difference then go to the more prestigious school. However, if Temple or Penn State is offering you a full scholarship then getting out of law school debt free is probably the better idea, because people are not likely to be that impressed by Villanova. If Villanova is the higher ranked school and it is the same cost or cheaper than the other options then go there. Just don't spend extra money to go to a school that is 15-20 spots higher. 

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
I can't be sure bigs (because I haven't looked in a long time), but I think Villanova is part of your favorite 11 way tie hah.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+4

They sure are now and they were 61st in 2010 so perfect example of a school dropping 23 spots possibly 35 in one year depending on where in the 11 way tie for 84th place they are. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69263

It is pretty awesome how U.S. News does not archive their rankings year to year. Is it possible they don't so nobody notices these outrageous yearly jumps? I think so. 

Philalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:22 AM »
Born and raised in Philadelphia.  Of the schools you named, I would pick Villanova.  Donít know much about Dickinson, but I do know their alumni are not strong in Philadelphia.  Basically, Penn, Villanova, and Temple students have the best shot in Philly.

Rutgers is a good school and does ok in philly, but I would only chose Rutgers over nova if you are a NJ resident. If you are a PA resident, I would shoot for temple.  Itís a better school than nova and a lot cheaper.

Donít pick Drexel, unless they offer you a good scholarship (they offered my one, which I turned down, when I transferred).  Drexel is a good school and they are on the rise, but they have no alumni and are relatively unknown.