Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?  (Read 2827 times)

GC_Chem_BU

• My metal blog: www.metalpedagogy.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I just took my first practice test out of a Princeton Review book today, and I scored 148. I had no idea what was even on the LSAT - that's why I took the practice test! It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, considering I didn't know what to expect at all, but at least I didn't completely bomb it.

My goal is mid 160's, and I think I can do it considering that 1) I know what to expect, 2) I have until December because that's when they're administering it at Purdue, and 3) I have the easiest class load I'm gonna get in my last four semesters of school. I'm planning on spending 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week in the library working on homework, and once I'm finished it's LSAT time. I've scheduled a few lessons out of the Princeton Review book a day, and between now and December I will have taken between 4 and 6 practice tests.

I'm really looking to get into some good IP schools on the east coast - something like Fordham, UNH, even BU (I'm a chemistry major at Purdue, so pharmaceutical IP interests me!). Can someone either tell me if I'm on the right track or suggest alternative methods?

Thanks a lot,
Geoff.
Purdue University '13
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Management
GPA: 3.0
Currently studying for December 2011 LSAT.

legalrabbit

• View Profile
    • Down the Legal Rabbit Hole
Re: Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
Geoff, I would highly recommend Powerscore bibles since I found them to be very helpful and concisely written whereas Princeton Review tends to glaze over important topics. I think it's smart that you're considering the December LSAT rather taking cramming for the October one. Since you're just starting out, I would suggest laying off of practice tests for the next month or so and really focus on drilling questions by question type.   

GC_Chem_BU

• My metal blog: www.metalpedagogy.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
That sounds great, thanks for the encouragement and advice. I'm going to stick with the Princeton Review book for now to get an overall knowledge of the test, then most likely move to the Powerscore books. Thanks again!
Purdue University '13
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Management
GPA: 3.0
Currently studying for December 2011 LSAT.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
What book is it?

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
I did the princeton review book (Cracking the LSAT) and would really advise against. Its ok if you are just going to go through it quickly and get a fundamental understanding of what is going on - but don't waste your time understanding how Princeton tackles problems. There are a lot of methods that are ok if you are just shooting for mid 150s maybe 160 but is NOT the best way (doubtful you'll get mid 160s+ with it). The book seems more like a crash course if you only have a few weeks to study. There are a LOT of bad habits that the Princeton Review gave me that I am still breaking using the Kaplan Method. Also, I was almost insulted by the lack of attention given to the Reading Comprehension section - it just gives you like 2 or 3 examples and says "Don't forget to circle important words ... good luck."

That being said, Powerscore seems to be the best out there. Once I am done with Kaplan I am going to move on to Powerscore.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
I've heard of Belmont's rather unique law programs.  I want to see how their programs turns out.  But the price tag- whoaaaaaaa.

BU refers to Boston University, at least in my experience.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
BU refers to Boston University, at least in my experience.

Is Boston well known for those programs - just out of curiosity?

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm planning on spending 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week in the library working on homework, and once I'm finished it's LSAT time. I've scheduled a few lessons out of the Princeton Review book a day, and between now and December I will have taken between 4 and 6 practice tests.

Can someone either tell me if I'm on the right track or suggest alternative methods?

If you can get in around 30+ hours a week between now and test day just on LSAT stuff you will be golden. At minimum it should be 20-25 on an off week. There are many reasons why but here is possibly the most practical reason why...

Whatever study method you use you should break things up between Timed and Un-timed practice. Timed practice should really only come when you are in the Un-timed 175+ range. Why? If you can't answer the questions without the clock, there is no way you can answer it with the clock. If you as using a proven method (like those taught in powerscore/kaplan, etc.) then you are practicing an efficient way of tackling the test. This way you will never feel the need to go faster and the only real timing skills that will come into play are game/passage/question ordering and bubbling techniques.

How do you get to the Un-Timed 175+ range? First, as I said, you MUST be using an efficient method - which you will learn once you start powerscore/kaplan. Second, when you are studying the method - answer the questions actively, not passively. Be 150% sure that the answer you pick is without a shadow of a doubt the correct answer AND (important AND) understand why the other 4 answers are without a shadow of a doubt the wrong answers. Write notes as to why the answers are wrong (i.e. "Out of scope because of ____" or "Faulty formal logic" or "Strengthens the argument (presuming you need to weaken it)") .. of course don't do this in the actual test/timed test but it is important at this stage. If you do this correctly, when you are checking your answers you will either be exceptionally annoyed at the fact you even had to check it because you got it right OR your entire world implodes as the ground beneath you crumbles because you got it wrong. Nonchalant v. Depression.

If you are studying like that, it will take you hours to get through a certain game type/question type etc.

This practice is crucial early on when you are working the fundamentals. With more exposure it will become easier to see why an answer it right or wrong and your efficient method will become quicker - making predictions, deductions etc.

One more thing - outline all the LSAT books you use. Use the outline when you are practicing to make sure you are doing everything right and remembering any tricks. If you want I can send you my Kaplan Outline?

Good luck.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »
BU, IP yes.  I don't know about Pharm.  BU has a good rep in New England.  Its up there rank wise,  lower T1 maybe.  What I got from Belmont was IP and entertainment law.  Makes sense taking Nashville into account.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »
Hey guys,

I just took my first practice test out of a Princeton Review book today, and I scored 148. I had no idea what was even on the LSAT - that's why I took the practice test! It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, considering I didn't know what to expect at all, but at least I didn't completely bomb it.

My goal is mid 160's, and I think I can do it considering that 1) I know what to expect, 2) I have until December because that's when they're administering it at Purdue, and 3) I have the easiest class load I'm gonna get in my last four semesters of school. I'm planning on spending 4 hours a day, 4-5 days a week in the library working on homework, and once I'm finished it's LSAT time. I've scheduled a few lessons out of the Princeton Review book a day, and between now and December I will have taken between 4 and 6 practice tests.

I'm really looking to get into some good IP schools on the east coast - something like Fordham, UNH, even BU (I'm a chemistry major at Purdue, so pharmaceutical IP interests me!). Can someone either tell me if I'm on the right track or suggest alternative methods?

Thanks a lot,
Geoff.

that fake test.  take real one.