Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?  (Read 2826 times)

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:50 PM »
My confusion still lies within timed vs. untimed. When do I move to timed? How much time is TOO MUCH TIME on untimed tests? I'm thinking about taking untimed tests once a week, since I don't have class on Tuesdays.

Also, where can I find full, legitimate practice tests for free as opposed to PR's? I noticed it wasn't full as soon as I started it, but I went with it anyway, figuring it would be a good benchmark. I really hope working through the PR book at all is worth it - I'm giving myself three weeks to get through the whole book (1 week per section). Then, it's moving on to Powerscore.

This may be best answered by someone with more experience, however, from my research it seems that early on there is no such thing as too much time. Of course, this is in an ideal world when you have all the time to devout to master the LSAT - which may not be realistic. Still, if you are using an EFFICIENT method do not worry that much. If the method really is efficient then with more exposure to that method and the LSAT your time will go down and your score will go up. Timing will come.

The point of untimed is so you get extremely familiar with the test and how it looks/is set up (all the different question types and each one of their problems) AS WELL as with the method you are using. So long as you are actively thinking and don't stop that train of thought and are working diligently through the method - take as long as you need to to be 200% sure the answer is right AND the 4 others are wrong.

You will soon begin to realize how the test really repeats a lot of similar ways of thinking throughout the three sections. Ways of finding deductions in LGs will, oddly, begin to somehow creep into your LR section and inferences will get easier to spot. Its at this point when you will begin to realize the LSAT is not so much a test to get into law school as it is a self prep course for law school (year 0 of law school). The skills you are learning will help you later (at least I tell myself that - hah).

Once you are getting around a 175+ on your complete untimed section then you can start worrying about bringing your time down. You will notice, however, that your time will naturally go down as you work through untimed sections.

As for the real tests - I don't know of any legitimate ways of obtaining all the real tests for free. Heres a link that lists where to find all the tests and where to buy them. I would shop around on amazon for the different books.

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/pub_ident.cfm

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Will this study method work for 148 -> 160's?
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
Miami, that was possibly the best and most concise intro/pep talk for LSAT new comers I have ever seen-  Well written, easy to read and completely to the point.  I can see no flaw at all to that approach.  If he has the time, December isn't that far away.  Please PM me those outlines you mentioned, I'm curious to see.

I noticed your in college GC.  Shhhh on this one because copies are limited.  You can usually find copies of the LSAC LSAT books at your university library.  Shhhhh, there is probably only one or two copies and for the love of God don't write in them.  People that write in library books are muff cabbage.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."