Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Practice in the South, where to go?  (Read 705 times)

hardisonbj

• View Profile
Practice in the South, where to go?
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
Im a 3.95/159/with a MAcc and CPA (2 years audit experience at a Big 4 firm), trying to figure out where to go (looking into Tax Law or M&A).  I realize my LSAT is low and I'm taking it for a second time this december hoping for a 3-4 point bump.  Im dead set on staying in the south trying to decide between:

UK-have family there, love the state, not the best job prospects from what I hear
Ole Miss-love the culture and am ok with living/working there, bad prospects for out of state from what I hear
UT- in state tution, cheap
UGA- love the school, would need a better LSAT or rely on extras to even get in
UofA- same as UGA

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I've been staring at this same list for months with no clue. Help!

pslaw2011

• View Profile
Re: Practice in the South, where to go?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
U of FL supposedly has a really good tax program.  Also on Ole Miss, its one of the cheapest in the South if you can deal with living there. Good luck!

hardisonbj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
Thanks! I had heard that about  UF and was thinking of maybe doing an LLM with taxes there after school.  Also would it be better to apply now to all of the schools with the score I have now and try to communicate that I'm going to be taking the test again, or only apply to the lower tier schools and then wait to apply to the better schools once I've hopefully improved my schools (I'm not taking the test until Dec. though)?

pslaw2011

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
You usually can apply right away and write an addendum telling the school that you are registered to take the LSAT again at the next date. They will normally hold off on reviewing your app until the new score is received. But check with each school to be certain.