Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Online Law School for Wisconsin Bar  (Read 8378 times)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Online Law School for Wisconsin Bar
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
Concord's law school is not accredited as far as I can tell.  All the online schools come under a single registration scheme by California.

But without ABA accrditation, it does not really matter what they do.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
If they are all so bad, why not shut them all down and require any new ones have (at a minimum) regional accrediting like Concord and require things like real time chat and other aspects found at more respected online schools like UOP with set due dates and timed online exams with real time mandatory seminars with Q&A?

If they required all that, it might make people give it more respect and be a better sell to ABA.

First step if that is the goal is to shut down 99% of what is out there and rebuild from the ashes.

How the world works and how anyone wants to plan it are two very different things.  The former just is, and the latter can and never will be.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:30 AM »
There is all this debate about non aba and aba. Why is this such a paradigm shift for so many? We are all reading the same laws, hornbooks, cases et cetera. I don't see why, just because you communicate online for your online JD and study where you want, everyone is going nuts saying it can't be. We are all using the same materials and we all take the same tests. If you pass the bar you pass the bar. That is the proof. But then you hear oh it's not the socratic method. Online law schools do not use the socratic method. Give me a break. How often does the same student get called on. Read a hornbook for 15 minutes. There's your own personal 1 on 1 socratic method.

Here's is the link for Wisconsin and Wisconsin out of all states.
http://www.wisbar.org/am/template.cfm?section=wisconsin_lawyer&template=/cm/contentdisplay.cfm&contentid=48968

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
The online law school will work initially only for the California Bar, what you can do after that depends on your skill in navigating the arcane rules of other state bars.

Online law school students generally are substandard because no one in their right mind is going to put all that extra time, effort and money into to getting a degree that is only recognized in a few jurisdictions.

If ABA schools were to offer accredited online programs that paradigm would change.

However, overpaid law professors are not going to go quietly itno the night since online classes do not require $125,000 a year profs to facilitate.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Anyone who graduates from an online law school and passes the California bar on their first attempt, as Jon did, would likely have excelled at any traditional law school. The standard ABA approved methodology may not be the only way to learn the law, but for the majority of students it is probably the best way. The socratic method and mandatory classroom participation forces students to prepare. Is that paternalistic? Sure, but it seems to work.

The state bar approved law schools in California have essentially adopted the same methodology, and their bar pass rates tend to be higher than those of online schools.

BTW, I am not the least bit snobby when it comes to ABA vs. non-ABA. I believe that the ABA requirements can be absurd, and I know plenty of great lawyers who graduated from non-ABA schools. For MOST students, however, the traditional law school methodolgy seems to produce more favorable results.

sollicitus

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
Anyone who graduates from an online law school and passes the California bar on their first attempt, as Jon did, would likely have excelled at any traditional law school. The standard ABA approved methodology may not be the only way to learn the law, but for the majority of students it is probably the best way. The socratic method and mandatory classroom participation forces students to prepare. Is that paternalistic? Sure, but it seems to work.

The state bar approved law schools in California have essentially adopted the same methodology, and their bar pass rates tend to be higher than those of online schools.

BTW, I am not the least bit snobby when it comes to ABA vs. non-ABA. I believe that the ABA requirements can be absurd, and I know plenty of great lawyers who graduated from non-ABA schools. For MOST students, however, the traditional law school methodolgy seems to produce more favorable results.

yes, that makes around ten percent (jons stats) of those who enroll capable of EVER being a lawyer, and about 1% of those in Jons shoes.

The odds of seeing BigFoot in Vegas beat the house are about equal.

Rocketdog2017

• Law School- same task expecting different result
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
That's because per CA philosophy, anyone regardless of education can take the CA bar. 

Sorry to disappoint you but there are educational requirements to taking the CA bar exam. Your statement suggests ANYONE can take the CA bar exam. Do you think a 9th grader would qualify to sit?
American Heritage University School of Law 1L