Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Online Law School for Wisconsin Bar  (Read 8721 times)

captaybe

• View Profile
    • Email
Online Law School for Wisconsin Bar
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:36:28 PM »
Without discussing the merits of online law school, I have already decided that's what I will do. I am planning on sitting for the Wisconsin bar. I will get a significant raise at my current job if I have a law degree. So having a substandard degree is not a problem for me. The question is: Which online degree is the quickest and cheapest that Wisconsin will accept? Alternatively, is there another state I should be looking at? Thank you

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Online Law School for Wisconsin Bar
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
I may be wrong, but its my understanding that the only state where you can sit for the bar with an online degree is CA.  That's because per CA philosophy, anyone regardless of education can take the CA bar.  The filter is that it is one of the most difficult bar exams in the nation.  That us why all of the online schools are in Cali.

All other states and territories require some kind of education from a school with some kind of state or ABA accreditation.  Unless you want to practice in CA, you can't go to an online school.  Sorry man.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

lawyerintraining

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
I think that you can take it online from any state as long as you take the bar in CA when done.

If you want to practice in another state some let you petition for "special approval"(not a sure deal) and others let you transfer after being licensed for a year years(normally around 5)

It takes that long to get good enough to go solo anyways, so you might want to consider doing it online, moving there after that, and then working for someone else for a few years before going back.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:03:13 AM »
Isn't Wisconsin that state where all you have to do is graduate from one of its law schools and you are automatically licensed; no bar exam?
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
Isn't Wisconsin that state where all you have to do is graduate from one of its law schools and you are automatically licensed; no bar exam?
Angie

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:40:31 AM »

If you graduate from the Law School at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) you do not need to sit for a bar exam, you are automatically good to go.

To the OP,

I am not aware of any distance ed option that will give one an opportunity to become a member of the Bar in the state of Wisconsin.

MY2CENTS7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
Without discussing the merits of online law school, I have already decided that's what I will do. I am planning on sitting for the Wisconsin bar. I will get a significant raise at my current job if I have a law degree. So having a substandard degree is not a problem for me. The question is: Which online degree is the quickest and cheapest that Wisconsin will accept? Alternatively, is there another state I should be looking at? Thank you

You can go to an online law school and Practice in California, Vermont, and of course as forementioned Wisconsin. I read today that a person who wants to practice in Wisconsin, can pass any bar in any state, and then practicein Vermont. Vermont won't let you attend an online school, but if you get a valid JD from any school and pass any states bar exam, you can practice in Vermont. That will give you 3 states that will accept online education for lawyers.

MY2CENTS7

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
Are you saying WI and VT have reciprocity will all states?  I was not aware that WI didn't have a bar exam, that's surprising.  I know of at least two states that have reciprocity with no one (DE and RI).  I was under the impression that reciprocity is a two way street.  Can reciprocity be one way?  Are you guys sure about this?

Most reciprocity rules require a 5 - 7 years of practice experience before its applicable, btw. 

That is a sloppy way of asking:  if the OP goes to an online school and sits for the CA bar, which is the only one he can sit for, does he still have to practice 5 - 7 years in CA before he can move, if reciprocity is even available?  Don't most states not have reciprocity with CA for precisely this reason?
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
I was not aware that WI didn't have a bar exam, that's surprising.

Wisconsin does have a bar exam, those students that earn their JD at the University of Wisconsin and do not need to take the exam, students who went to law school elsewhere do have to take the bar exam.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 12:00:29 AM »
Ah, that makes much more sense. Don't know how I feel about the WI exception, however.  Seems a little elitist 19th century good ol boy cluby to me.