Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMass Law  (Read 4040 times)

bobol

• View Profile
Re: UMass Law
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:16:32 AM »
We don't disagree that UMass will ultimately get accredited now that it has been merged with the Massachussets state system.  My point is that the firing of Dean Ward and the litigation regarding LMU may cause the UMass Ccrediation to be delayed. 

If you "google" Massachusettss School of law versus ABA ( or some variation thereof) you will see that approximately 10 years ago the litigation occurred and that mass Law lost but commentary in some subsequent articles indicate that the ABA standards were revised by the ABA thereafter.  If I recall the dispute had to do with Mass  (I)  not having sufficient Library resources which it claimed were unneeded because of technological advances since the 1900s and ( ii) not having sufficient full time professors to teach because Mass Law used adjuncts.  Mass alw claimed that the adjuncts composed of practicing attorneys and judges in the area was sufficient.  The ABA requires a ratio of  more expensive full time professors.

If you google  "Southern New Englanf  law School law suit" of some variation you will see that when  SNEL ( pre UMass merger) was denied accreditation one or more students sued SNEL alleging that the school had represented that it would,receive ABA accreditation before they graduated.  SNEL won the lawsuit but shows that ABA accreditation is never a sure thing.

My guess is tha UMass gets accredited this year or next.  If UMass had not become a part of the atate of Massachusetts system I would not think so.  The reality is however that the ABA must shut down the flood
gates of new law schools and existing schools expanding their class size to generate more money.

Good luck to al that read this post.  Keep confidence and don.'t give up.
-------------

I typed this on an iPad so my typing skills are less than accurate so I apologize for the many typos.

DA CPA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »
Per the school webiste: "Provisional Accreditation Recommended by ABA Committee
The American Bar Association Accreditation Committee has recommended to the Council on Legal Education that UMass Law be granted provisional ABA approval."

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think accreditation would be their problem. Administratively, UMass knows what they're doing. More along the lines of SNESL's not so great legacy and the reception in the area.

The school is right, its silly for a state the size of Mass not to have a state school, but the legal market in Mass is crazy competitive.  Will their market be RI or CT? Or will grads filter into Boston, where there are too many law schools already?  The south coast isn't populous enough to support a law school.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."