Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Immediate Decision! John Marshall or Kent??  (Read 570 times)

jinc1019

• View Profile
    • Email
Immediate Decision! John Marshall or Kent??
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
This is a really hard decision for me. The choice is between Chicago-Kent at full price or John Marshall on a full scholarship. I don't know if we will be staying in Chicago once my wife finishes with medical school but that isn't for many years now and neither school really has a national reputation. What little experience I have had with John Marshall has been mixed, especially dealing with people in financial aid and other areas. I am just not sure what to do and any help would be awesome.

Tiery Eyed

• View Profile
Re: Immediate Decision! John Marshall or Kent??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
I'd go with the high T2 over the school thats struggling to even stay in the TTT.  Worst comes to worst you always have your wife's medical degree to support the family  ;)

cmh

• View Profile
Re: Immediate Decision! John Marshall or Kent??
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
If your full scholarship to John Marshall is not contingent on class rank, go with John Marshall. In this legal market, its much better to graduate with ZERO debt from a low ranked school as opposed to upwards of $120,000 in debt to a OK ranked school like Chi-Kent. If you choose Chi-Kent at full sticker price, you could easily end up with $120,000 in debt and no job.

However, if your scholarship from JM is contingent on class rank, I would be very leery about choosing that option since law schools are notorious for setting their scholarship students up for failure.