Yes
 1 (20%)
No
 2 (40%)
Possibly
 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 05:20:53 PM

Author Topic: Cooley Law School's New Tampa, FL campus opens 2012  (Read 6580 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cooley Law School's New Tampa, FL campus opens 2012
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »
Do you really thin MI has a better economic situation, i.e. job outlook, than FL?

I know you're not asking me, but personally, I think MI is ****ed.  Crappy climate, history of organized labor that keeps anybody in their right mind from locating manufacturing there if they have a choice.  Florida has sunshine, ocean ports, it's still considered a desireable place to live. 

FL and CA may be as bad as MI, now, but they both have the basics that will allow them to bounce back.  MI's best days are, unfortunately, behind it.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »
I totally agree with you Jimmy.  That's not to say MI doesn't have its upsides.  The state parks and nature in MI is beautiful.  Hunters from all over the Americas go there for the hunting and camping.  I think tourism will be their new top industry.

I will say I love the sun, love the heat and love the water, but when I was considering moving to FL the one thing that bothered me was the lack of seasons.  Change is good, no change is boring. 

That said, biz is biz; work is work.  MI will have a rough go of it for at least the next 10 years, if not the next 20.  I can't imagine trying to start off in law there, the judicial infrastructure is crumbling along with everything else.  I do know people moving back there though, so maybe its not as bleak as we think it is.

Maybe we're both wrong though, pslaw probably has a more inclusive perspective.     
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »
I absolutely hope MI bounces back.  I love MI and some of the reasons are the ones you mentioned.  I also have personal and economic attachments to both MI and OH.  Still, if I were a young person, I'd go elsewhere.

pslaw2011

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »
In response to the various state economies..

I'm not interested in the business aspects of it. I'd be more than happy to work for one of those unions or in public service or nonprofit etc. I like the Great Lakes region for its affordable cost of living, and I'll find something to live within those means.

I'm moving to the Ann Arbor campus, and from what I've seen Ann Arbor seems to be thriving. And, I already have a job for when I move up in the nonprofit area.

From my experience living in Florida the business economy isn't the best. Sure there are the financial planning companies and banks. But a great deal of the financial industry here is growing in the debt collection area and telemarketing- it might be a way to make money, but its probably not where you'd want to be. However, if insurance is your thing we have tons of that (and Cooley does have an LLM program for insurance law.. just a random addition).

Also, we're all law students here so we should know that who happens to be the Governor actually matters... Rick Scott anyone?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »
thoroughly glad you proved how this forum seems to be a genuine waste of anyone's time for discovering useful information.

oh, we can do much better that.

EdinaRah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I'm not going to get involved in the forum politics, but this just seems like a terrible idea.  I'm sure Cooley planned it before the legal market began to tank, but right now the better thing would be for law schools to start contracting rather than expanding.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »
Even I think is a bad idea. Cooley doesn't need to be expanding I won't say anything negative about the school, because I know nothing about it, but it is no secret it has a reputation for accepting to many students and opening up a campus across country only enhances the position of Cooley's critics. It is awarding 918 JD's per year https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_Info/ABA_LawSchoolData.aspx. That is outrageous. Harvard is pumping out only 593 grads https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_Info/ABA_LawSchoolData.aspx . Then my tier 4 school which I like is doing the right thing and only has 175 grads.

Pumping nearly 1,000 J.D.'s in Michigan were jobs are scarce is not a good idea and as adamantly as I defend tier 4 schools this is just not good for the profession or the students.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
Come on.  Hold him Lucas.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."