Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lsat study tips  (Read 2290 times)

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
lsat study tips
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »
So I am beginning my journey of studying for the lsat. I took a "Diagnostic" test so I would know where I stood and ended up scoring a 149. Since then I have not taken any full tests, but rather have been focusing on the individual sections of the lsat. I would like to get my lsat score to a 160. No need for me to shoot higher because the average lsat score at the school I wish to attend (University of Oklahoma) is a 158. My ugpa will be right at the average as well. I guess what im asking for is practical tips and approaches that I can utilize in order to impove my score. For the couple of weeks after my diagnostic, I have focused mainly on the LR section of the lsat simply because that section makes up 50% of the test. I have been using a blueprint book that has 10 preptests in it, some of which are completely ancient (late 90's), and some of which are pretty recent (06-07) anyways,  It seems like I always end up missing right at ten questions on every LR section I do, and unfortunately there is no real evident trend in the types of questions that I answer incorrectly. :( If I had to guess, I would say the "must be true" questions are the toughest question types for me. Also many of the strengthen/weaken questions are difficult and time consuming. I have about 10 months before I have to take the lsat so time is not an issue. Any Ideas? Help Please!!!

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: lsat study tips
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:39:41 AM »
I'm planning a long term study for LSAT as well...

No matter what you do you have to get your fundamentals down tight. If you can't answer questions un-timed theres no way you can answer them timed. Spend the majority of your time early on on getting a good handle on all those things (understanding question, game, passage types and all the strategies to tackle them).

I would recommend getting a book course like Kaplan (what I am using) or Powerscore (what I will be shortly starting) and follow it. Outline all the methods/steps and tricks. Use your outline when you are practicing each section - make sure you stick to the methods. If you are looking for a 160 then be able to at least get a 170 untimed before working on your timing (if not 175). At this point you shouldn't have much of an issue to get 160 and will just need to work on bubbling techniques and game/passage/question ordering.

One more thing - even though you have time on your side, don't think you can just spend 5-6 hours a week. If you have 10 months then put in at least 20 hours a week from now until you take the test - and the last few months you should bump that up to 30 hours a week.

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »
Wow. I just took my second timed preptest. I scored a 157. I was not expecting that at all. I have only been studying for about an hour a day due to my extremely busy schedule. I was expecting about a 150 to 152 at the best. What's really crazy is that I lost total concentration because we had storms and lost power in my house, so I had no light to diagram the last game. So on the last 6 to 7 questions on the last section (which was logic games), I just guessed "D" on all the way down. Only got one of them right. I probably would have done two or three points better if I was able to work through the last game.

lawstudent#1

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Prelaw, is that just your username or did you actually take prelaw in undergrad?

I ask since stats tend to ironicly show higher lsat scores(and bar pass rates) in people who took other majors.
149 is an ok start, and if  your try hard enough you can get up to an ok score on the real lsat (160)

But I have to ask, don't they offer lsat prep in prelaw? Or do you think prelaw just don't take it as seriously as those who started as engineers and other fields since they assume that prelaw somehow relates to an lsat ability?

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »
No that is not my major. Just the username I chose. My major is criminal justice.

lawstudent#1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
No that is not my major. Just the username I chose. My major is criminal justice.

Kind of the same thing really. Best of luck on the retakes though. I know a lot of cops in lawschool. Most tend to quit or get lowgrades since it dosn't relate to the "real world" but if you just did CJ classes without a tin badge on your chest, you should be ok.

prelaw12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
I def. do not want to be a cop of any kind. I chose CJ because its interesting, and not a difficult major whatsoever. In fact its rather laughable how easy it is. I started out as a bio major so it was a big change. Before going to the "arts" area of the campus, I had never even heard of the word "extra credit" before. Now its like, you got a hundred on your exam, here are 20 bonus points for doing so well... lol.

cclay52@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »
Do anyone know where I can find a study group in Michigan. I hope to take the December 2011 LSAT.....