Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waiting for the results of the Baby Bar  (Read 5545 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waiting for the results of the Baby Bar
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
If the devil gets an advocate why not his opposing party too?

Interesting since the origin of the term "devil's advocate" originated as a role for a member of the clergy during debates/discussions.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
If the devil gets an advocate why not his opposing party too?

Interesting since the origin of the term "devil's advocate" originated as a role for a member of the clergy during debates/discussions.

As usual, a little knowledge creates great innacuracy.

Originally, a Devil's Advocate (from the Latin Advocatus Diaboli) was a Roman Catholic church official who had been appointed to argue the case against a proposed canonisation or beatification of a candidate for sainthood. (The supporter was, until 1983, called Advocatus Dei - 'God's Advocate'.) The Devil's Advocate's formal title is Promoter of the Faith (Promotor Fidei), which isn't quite as sinister.

So yes a member of the clergy was refered to it during a "debate" but of whether of not another priest deserved priesthood. NOT in general day to day events. Common sense when you think about it.

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »
I believe that all client's are immoral.  If they weren't, at a minimum, immoral, they wouldn't need an attorney to defend them. 

I would be curious to find out how Regent interweaves faith with practicing law.  Just like in the movie, "The Devil's Advocate",  if, like Keanu Reeves, you want to adhere to your personal standards, there may be times when you will have to walk out on a case and risk losing money and/or being disbarred. 
Angie

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

And the innacuracy is?

So yes a member of the clergy was refered to it during a "debate" but of whether of not another priest deserved priesthood.

Hmmm... do you know what cannonization is?

I didn't say a devil's advocate was used in ALL debates.  Just that they were used in "debates".  I didn't think it was germane to go into the trivia that you cited.

If you get your jollies trying to snipe others, so be it.  Might want to practice up on your reading comprehension next time, though.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
I believe that all client's are immoral.  If they weren't, at a minimum, immoral, they wouldn't need an attorney to defend them. 

????!!!!

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
There is a fine line between immoral behavior (going against the Ten Commandments) and being a party in a civil or criminal lawsuit.
Angie

lawyerintraining

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

And the innacuracy is?

So yes a member of the clergy was refered to it during a "debate" but of whether of not another priest deserved priesthood.

Hmmm... do you know what cannonization is?

I didn't say a devil's advocate was used in ALL debates.  Just that they were used in "debates".  I didn't think it was germane to go into the trivia that you cited.

If you get your jollies trying to snipe others, so be it.  Might want to practice up on your reading comprehension next time, though.

Of course not, you just gave a partial answer to allow assumptions.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »

Try to remember that when someone runs over your grandmother and she needs help with her medical bills or when someone who is released after 20 years due to DNA evidence is on the news.

"but if they weren't guilty the police wouldn't have questioned him......"

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
 An  attorney isn't required for help with medical bills.  I have been rear ended three times.  Each time I had an attorney.  I was a party to civil lawsuits.  Isn't the desire for revenge a little towards the sin of anger side?
Angie

lawyerintraining

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
An  attorney isn't required for help with medical bills.  I have been rear ended three times.  Each time I had an attorney.  I was a party to civil lawsuits.  Isn't the desire for revenge a little towards the sin of anger side?

So there is no such thing as a personal injury attorney, interesting. You might want to explain that to the thousands of them out there though.