Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I attend NCCU or Howard this fall?  (Read 1140 times)

gapeachy07

• View Profile
Should I attend NCCU or Howard this fall?
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
I am very desperate for advice. I literally know 0 attorneys , which means I know 0 people that attended law school. I noticed that people do not really post much on this board anymore, but if there are some lurkers out there reading this please, please, please help. I have to make a decision by next week because orientation for both schools is August 15th. I have already committed to Howard (payed a seat deposit, signed a lease with two others  and payed around $1600 between the July & August's  rent/ deposit). I was just accepted off of the wait list at NCCU today. I know for a fact that I would much rather live in Durham than DC because I am a low-key person, and I do not like big cities. Additionally NCCU is much cheaper (especially when you factor in the cost of living) . If anybody is out there, please help me decide. I have no one else to turn to.

Thanks in Advance,

Naomi

Leviathan

• View Profile
Re: Should I attend NCCU or Howard this fall?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
Naomi,

Go to Howard. Without disparaging NCCU, I'll just say that Howard has a brand that far exceeds that of most schools in this country much less NCCU. Consider this, Howard has 3 cats working at Wachtell (the most prestigious firm in the Country), NCCU has less than that working at Smith-Moore ( a regional firm in NC). I think the choice is clear.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
You do not need to know any attorneys, you just need to find some.  Working professionals are generally open to giving a little time to students interested in entering their field and will speak with you -- people like to help people.  Contact the Bar for the state you are looking, they can put you in contact.  You can do a simple web search, find some recent grads from each school and put a call in to them or send an email.  If you explain you are a student considering becoming an attorney and looking at their alma matter, I'm sure they will be more than willing to set up a phonecall (or even meeting) to answer some questions.  I recommend looking at recent grads since they will have the most timely perspective.  This will be good practice for showing initiative and reaching out to strangers.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
If I were you I would choose Howard because of its proximity to DC, amongst other reasons, but that's the big one.  DC is one of, if not the best place for law students and new law school grads in the nation.

That said, I am not you.  Looks like you have already made up your mind.  I've heard good things about NCCU, but the location does not even come close to providing all of the opportunities you'll get in the DC metro area, not even a little bit.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »
Howard.