Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can my brother still become a future law student?  (Read 516 times)

Curious1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Can my brother still become a future law student?
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:44 AM »
It has always been my brother's goal to become a future lawyer. However, recently he got into a car accident on his 18th birthday where he was driving under the influence. He was convicted with driving under the influence with a BAC level twice above the legal level of 21 year olds (0.08). He is devistated and feels that his dreams of becoming a lawyer are over due to the conviction. As a good older brother should do,  I told him not to give up because there is many years ahead of him before applying to law school. But I am also feeling some doubt because now he no longer has a 'clean' record, are his dreams really over? Who can I contact to find out if this has caused detriment to his goal?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Can my brother still become a future law student?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
Not necessarily over. Contact the bar association where he wants to practice to find out for certain before dropping a ton of money on a JD that won't do anything for him.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
I got an OWI when I was 19 and a possession of alcohol under the legal age later that year. I just graduated from U of Iowa law in May and will hear whether I passed the bar in a week. There was never any character and fitness inquiry whatsoever into my OWI.

I should note that it kept me from getting into a few law schools that I probably would have otherwise, but the point is that it is far from a death sentence.

justanothersucker

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »
Heck if the state he's in won't take him, there are 49 more plus guam, PR,DC,etc.

If a guy has a choice between staying joe smoe at home or being  a lawyer a few steps away. Why not?

My point being, if local says no, just keep looking. Heck, even being a Canadian lawyer would be better than not being one at all.

InterAlia1961

• When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
    • View Profile
    • The Daily Defacto
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
I doubt that his run-in with the law will hinder his career. He'll have to file a moral character form with the state, telling them what happened. Many people have misdemeanors, bankruptcies, and other black marks, yet are allowed to practice. The Bar gives you a chance to explain what happened and plead your case. Definitely not a death sentence for his dream of being an attorney.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.' ~Arthur Clarke