Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: can I have a "virtual immigration office" and live in AL?  (Read 500 times)

lipslikesugar

• View Profile
can I have a "virtual immigration office" and live in AL?
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »
Well, I was accepted in three ABA approved law schools but unfortunate none in Alabama . And I can't move !!!!! I was wondering if I can practice immigration law through the Internet ? What exactly I can do with an online law degree if I am living in Alabama ?

Thanks guys

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: can I have a "virtual immigration office" and live in AL?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:06:22 AM »
Alabama has a state approved law school that has a weekend program.  Alternatively, you could register with the Department of Immigration to represent clients as a nonlawyer.  Several federal agencies allow nonlawyers to represent clients in their hearings.
Angie

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: can I have a "virtual immigration office" and live in AL?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
If yo have no plans to leave Alabama, then go to Birmingham School of Law.  They are state approved but have a great reputation in Alabama.  I live in Atlanta and I am going to trek on out to Birmingham once a week to attend class on Saturday.  There is also Miles Law School, but I do not think they are as good.

I can't get into an ABA approved school because I am 45 for one, and the other is my LSAT score was too low.  The school is about $5,000 a year.  No financial aid but they do have a payment plan.  You are also required to take a 3 day (actually 2 day) online course in legal writing.  I have a lot of legal writing experience so I thought the class was a waste of time and money. 

I have no desire to work in a big firm or even practice law.  I want the education and what I do with it from there, who knows.  My son wants to go to Auburn... that will be in 3 years so who knows, I may end up in Alabama anyway.

www.bsol.com