Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can someone please give some insight into Ave Maria law school?  (Read 1835 times)

pgalje01

• View Profile
I am going to be applying to schools in the fall and I noticed this school but I don't know anything about it. The website is not very helpful either. I want to evenutally move back to Philadelphia and work there. Would it be impossible from Ave Maria?

I would love to hear from students! But anyone who knows anything would be great!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please give some insight into Ave Maria law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
I hate to say this, but you'd have a hard-enough time getting a job in FL, let alone Philadelphia.  Unless you're going to a school with "national appeal" (e.g., a T-14 school), you really should try to go to a school in the region where you want to practice law.  Temple and Villanova place well in the Philly area, and obviously University of Pennsylvania does.  I wouldn't recommend Widener in Wilmington, DE, especially because it is hard enough to get a job from there when the economy is good.  Since you're considering Ave Maria, I'm assuming your LSAT score wasn't very good, and it's unlikely you could get into Temple or Villanova.  However, retaking the LSAT often does wonders.  I retook, and it opened up many doors for me.  I recommend retaking, especially if you didn't take a prep class/didn't study hard the first time.  Good luck!

pgalje01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »
Actually, I haven't even taken the lsats yet but my diagnostics are high enough to get into both temple and villanova. I was just curious about a school that I know nothing about...

pslaw2011

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
Ave Maria Law & connected University is a part of the conservative Catholic town created by the school's administration. So, be well aware of that. Its also barely in naples, more on the outskirts.

Its a new law school for Florida, so there is no bar passage data or placement info yet. Additionally, it is the 11th law school in the state and doesn't have a high reputation so outside the Naples area I'd imagine finding jobs to be very competitive.

I am a long term Floridian, and its very competitive for any job here and many people leave the state because of this. Our real estate market should be a warning.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
Actually, I haven't even taken the lsats yet but my diagnostics are high enough to get into both temple and villanova. I was just curious about a school that I know nothing about...

Oh, ok.  Try to get into Philly schools.  Ave Maria would be a poor choice for most people, especially in this economy! 

lawstudent#1

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
It's ABA but only National Accrediting (not Regional)

Think about it, if it were undergrad you'd spit on it, but as lawschool it's ok?  ???