Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should I major in?  (Read 3468 times)

airbornemike

• View Profile
What should I major in?
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
What should I major in and should I get a minor? The last thing I'd want it to complete a major that is useless to me when applying to law schools.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: What should I major in?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Major in something you enjoy and can do well at while you're in college. Your GPA and your LSAT score are the two most important factors in law school admission, and you're much more likely to get good grades in classes you enjoy. Which law school you go to will determine how much choice you have in where you live and work during and after law school. Also, get a part-time job in undergrad doing work--any kind of work--for a law firm. That will be the biggest help in telling you whether you're in the right place and doing the right thing, and will also be valuable experience when it comes time to apply to law school and for jobs.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
What should I major in and should I get a minor? The last thing I'd want it to complete a major that is useless to me when applying to law schools.

My opinion, take it for what its worth, is that if you know you want to go to law school, start planning, now. 

As was mentioned, GPA and LSAT are pretty much all that matter in admissions.  It's not 100% of the equation, but probably 99% or so.

So, you want the highest GPA possible.  Your major won't really matter in LS admissions.  So, find the major you can get the highest GPA in.  If I were doing it all over again, I'd major in communications. 

Go for the easiest major that will give you the best possible GPA.  That's all you need to do.

airbornemike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
Thanks, everything that has been said in this post has opened a new perspective on how I am going to approach my major, and eventually Law School. You have been a great deal of help in assisting me on understanding my strategy.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Hey, feel free to drop me a line and stay in touch.
I finished Airborne school in 1986.  Seems like just yesterday.

airbornemike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
Will do sir. Thank you.

if it pleases the court

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »
I recommend majoring in philosophy. If there is something else that you would rather major in, then I would do that but I would at least minor in philosophy. Philosophy majors have a modest understanding of legal concepts such as logic, reasoning, ethics, and critical thinking. These concepts are very important when answering questions on law school exams.

lawyerintraining

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »

Dang, how old are you man? You still in school?

MY2CENTS7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:53 AM »

Whatever You Want To! worry about a major when you go to college, you may be able to take some related studies such as Government, Logic, Reasoning, Business, when you get to college: Liberal Studies, Political Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, etc.

Best Wishes and Best Regards!

MY2CENTS (former public school teacher and college professor) Now a 1L

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »

Dang, how old are you man? You still in school?

Yep, I got my wings when I was 7 years old, and am now on the 35-year plan in school. 
:)