Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can SLU get me to the east coast?  (Read 797 times)

Igloo Marshall

• View Profile
Can SLU get me to the east coast?
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
Went to Washington University in St. Louis undergrad, but problem is I graduated with a 3.2 GPA, so unless I get a stellar LSAT this October (working on it!), I doubt I'll get any scholarship money from WashU or similarly-ranked schools.

But SLU (Saint Louis University School of Law) will probably give me a scholarship even if I don't get a great LSAT score, just a decent LSAT score, so I'm thinking of applying there as a back-up option. (I'm not planning on getting a mediocre LSAT score by the way, this is just a back-up I want to explore.) Question is, would I get a job in Boston or New York from SLU?

Let's imagine - just for argument's sake - I graduated top 1% of my class at SLU and have done awesome work during my summers. I'm the best kid in SLU. Will that be enough to get non-Vault biglaw from the East Coast to hire me?

The reason I'm asking this is because I really want to go to law school debt-free, so I'll consider going to SLU if WashU doesn't give me a full ride and SLU does. So it's important to know the answer to the question of whether the best kid in SLU could go to Boston or New York. Why do I want to go to Boston or New York? Because I feel I'd earn more money there, besides enjoying a more cosmopolitan city.

(If you're wondering why I'd consider going to law school in St Louis when I want a job in Boston or New York, it's because I'd live with my parents and save money.)

Igloo Marshall

• View Profile
Re: Can SLU get me to the east coast?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Anyone?

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: Can SLU get me to the east coast?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
Wow, it's been awhile since I visited this board, but it's a slow day at work, so I'll help out. I can't speak for the NY area, but I'll give you my insights into Boston.

I'm originally from the St. Louis area (pm me if you want to know my high school) and am currently working in Boston. I know a few people who went to SLU law and then moved to Boston. From what I understand, they weren't too successful and have since moved back.

The problem is that the Boston area is inundated with law schools. Suffolk, Northeastern, BU, BC, New England School of Law, and Harvard. From what I understand, the UMass system has recently announced that they will be opening up a law school. That's seven schools' worth of graduates with whom you would be competing. Granted, Harvard grads can go anywhere as well as a handful of BU and BC, but Suffolk and Northeastern are very local.

Moreover, it's hard to break into the Boston market if you don't have any ties to it. It's not nearly as bad as trying to break into the Stl market though.

If you do well at SLU (i.e. get top 1% as you imagine), then I would just transfer after your first year. But as people will undoubtedly emphasize, you cannot rely on transferring. If you want to stay in Stl but want to work in Boston or NY, then go to WUSTL. It places well in both cities.

Hope that helps.