Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I ready for Oct LSAT?  (Read 1259 times)

cheery_girl

• View Profile
Am I ready for Oct LSAT?
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
Hello, I am new to this, but I have been reading everyone's posts for a while.

I just graduated and am taking a Testmasters prep course. I am signed up for the Oct LSAT. My GPA is a 3.48, though from a good school, I know it is not competitive. I am relying on the LSAT to give me my boost. I am shooting for  168.

I received a 145 on the Testmasters diag. That was my first exposure to any LSAT questions, I worked 9 hours that day, and I did not eat. So I am confident I can really improve my score.

My issue here is that I have a hard time focusing and a hard time with logic. I am working 40+ hours a week at a law firm and going to Testmasters Mon/Thurs. I get a few hours Sat/Sun to do problems. Is the Oct test too soon for me? In addition, my brother is coming back from Deployment September 12-him, w/ my full-time job, etc., will really be an overload.

Should I just bank on December?  I would ideally like to do an early app for American Law School.

Any advice would help. I bought all the powerscore books, some previous LSAT administered tests, and am doing Testmasters. I am absolutely willing to give up any social life (which I have already for my job). What do you all think realistically?

BraveDave

• View Profile
Re: Am I ready for Oct LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
First of all, what did you receive on your most recent practice tests?

To concentrate I heard that some people start by reading the test aloud. What they do is they start reading and "doing" the test aloud, which gives them nothing else to concentrate on, and by the end of the section your mind gets tired of reading it aloud and almost automatically you stop reading the test aloud while maintaining the concentration and making less mistakes. After just a few tests your concentration should be better.

Never tried it, but heard that really helps:)

sohcatoa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
That sounds like a great strategy. I will try it :)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
october test be hardest ever.

hydeyu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
october test be hardest ever.
Wow, may I ask what makes you say that? That's sort of unnerving...
His behaviour proves him proud. In the best sense.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
oh, you can ask.

legalrabbit

• View Profile
    • Down the Legal Rabbit Hole
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't recommend taking the October test unless you're feeling really confident with the test-- if you want a 168, you should be scoring in the high 160s/low 170s on practice tests. Real scores tend to dip a few point from practice scores. I think it's hard to predict if you'll be ready since you haven't really put in the time or effort...yet.

Try dedicating some solid effort for the next month and if your practice scores are not great, push back the LSAT until December.