Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I have started my journey  (Read 698 times)

lisapar

• View Profile
    • Email
I have started my journey
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »
 Hello board,

I want to thank you for a place like this. I never even considered becoming a lawyer when I was younger. I got involved with politics and issues important to me when I lived in Florida. I realized that working in the field of law would give me the credibility when dealing with people in those issues, so I looked into becoming a paralegal (I still didn't think I had what it took to be a lawyer). I will be 44 next month and I had never attended college before.

In North Carolina I attended school for two semesters as a paralegal major. I then moved back home to Lancaster Pa. I was half-way through my second semester in NC when I learned I was going to move back here. It was then I realized that I could actually go on and attend law school. I talked to my professor/instructor from NC before I left. He is bar certified in Florida and Pennsylvania and has been a paralegal instructor for 25-years. I figured he would know if I had what it took, as far as brains go, to attend law school. He felt I did, so I am on track here in PA.

I am looking forward to my second semester at Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC). None of my credits from South College in NC transfered, so I am starting over again. I am a Political Science major and I am duall enrolled in Penn State Harrisburg. That means that all my credits from HACC, as long as I maintain a C average or above, will transferr to Penn State Harrisburg and the transfer fees will be waived.

My ultimate plan is to go on to attend Dickinson Law School after I get my BA with Penn State. I have talked with the admissions director with Dickinson. He said I am on track and as long as my grades stay up and I have good LSATS I have as good a chance as any body else to get in.

I have read some of the posts about non-traditional students and how it is harder for us than the younger crowd to get good-paying jobs, so I am not having dreams of being hired by a huge law firm in New York or San Fransico. I just want a decent career at this point in my life. I am not married and I have no children. I can give a career the attention much younger folks would, with the added bonus of wisdom  and life experience that the younger crowd doesn't have.

Thank you again for the board. I am looking over the questions asked here, reading the LSAT information and watching what is said about schools and all the questions being asked. It does help to know I have somewhere to go when I need help.  :)

Challenge

• View Profile
Re: I have started my journey
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
Congratulations on your decision to pursue a law degree! It is still a profession that is admired and valued by many, so if it is in your heart to pursue it, don’t let anyone stop you. People who let others stop them from doing something they are passionate about, often look back with regret and wonder what if…so do yourself a favor and don’t become bitter because someone talked you ‘out of’ or ‘into’ doing something you didn’t want to do. Only you know what is best for you!
I was recently accepted to law school and will begin my 1L next year - at the age of 40 – which some consider to be too old for law school, but I consider it to be an age where I am experienced and wise enough to decide what I really want to do. My path to law school has been an arduous, yet fulfilling one and it sounds like you too are well on your way to experience the same. Good luck on your journey!