Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Geroge Washington vs University at Buffalo  (Read 592 times)

JAGX

• View Profile
    • Email
Geroge Washington vs University at Buffalo
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
So 75k UB vs 220k GW?

GW is a much better school, but I'd be drowning in debt, plus I don't know if I would be able to compete well enough with the other students to snag a six figure job I'd need to pay off my loans.  On the plus side, it would be a much better chance for me to earn more once I graduate, and have more opportunities.

UB is just the opposite; easier to compete, less debt, but also less earning power and less opportunities.

Thoughts?

if it pleases the court

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Geroge Washington vs University at Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
GW has more national recognition because of the prestige of studying in Washington D.C.. There are more government jobs and internships available to law students in Washington D.C. then anywhere else on the east coast. If you get a scholarship to GW, then I would go. If not, then I say UB.   

taxguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Understand the benefits and foibles of GW. They have a great IP department. In addition, GW is in a GREAT area of Wash DC. There is a LOT more to do than in Buffalo. Moreover, they have lots of government connections. If you want to work for a government agency, they are great for that. The catch is that the government doesn't pay that well to start and yet GW has among the highest tuition and cost of living in the country.  Honestly, unless you are getting some money from GW and/or want to work in the government. I would go with Buffalo.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
I would go with Buffalo the rankings are kind of a joke outside of the top schools and GW is not worth an additional 225k not to mention these loans accrue roughly 8% interest, which will be another 16,000 annually to be paying off.

This is my just two cents and I maybe I am completely wrong unless you are going to an ELITE school and ELITE means Harvard, Yale, Stanford, that level. George Washington is in D.C. and many people want to move there and you will be competition to get experience with Harvard, Yale, Georgetown students and realistically GW doesn't compare with those schools neither does Buffalo, but I imagine in Buffalo your only competition will be students from Buffalo.

With all that being I think where you want to end up makes a difference if you want to live in Buffalo then you should 100% go to Buffallo. If you want to be in D.C. then obviously go to GW.

The law school decision is a difficult one, but there is honestly no such thing as a "better" school all ABA schools literally teach you the same thing. You read Supreme Court cases and there is no special editions for different law schools it is literally all the same. If you go to a very prestigious school then the name itself might be of use, but at the end of the day you are either going to be a good attorney or a bad one.

As a sidenote the rankings are basically a joke. U.S. News is a for-profit magazine with no authority whatsoever the ABA, LSAC, and any recognized authority tells students to not pay attention to them.

Here are some articles on it directly from LSAC. http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Research/GR/GR-07-02.asp

http://www.lsac.org/LsacResources/Research/GR/GR-07-02.pdf

I would honestly get out of law school as cheaply as possible unless your going to an ELITE school, but that is my two cents and people have different views.