Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with studying  (Read 1261 times)

irm823

Help with studying
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I took the June LSAT and scored a 140. I even took the Kaplan course but as you can see it didn't help me much. I am hoping to score at least a 160 on the October LSAT. I have been told to buy the powerscore bibles and I did. Does anyone know any other books or techniques that could help me? Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

IClawstud

• View Profile
Re: Help with studying
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
I would suggest starting in early August taking as many practice tests before the exam as possible. The most important thing is to also review what you got wrong. I even use to clip out the questions I got wrong from the test because its usually the same type of questions you get wrong. Mastering your weaknesses is the key to this test.
Good luck in October.

irm823

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
Thank you!

scenariosolver

• View Profile
    • www.scenariosolver.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
WIth regard to Logic Games I suggest that you solve 3 to 4 a day and then fully understand how the game was solved correctly.  Too many test takers merely practice the test and then blow off the correct solution strategy.  Depending on your skill level it will take you two to three hours a day in the beginning to correctly work through 3 - 4 logic games.

Take a look at scenariosolver as I firmly believe that watching video solutions (rather than trying to pick up deductions from a book) are optimal when it comes to learning how to correctly work through logic games.

Tom
www.ScenarioSolver.com Video Solutions of all releasedLSAT Logic Games - 13$ a month unlimited access

legalrabbit

• View Profile
    • Down the Legal Rabbit Hole
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
Redo LG problems until it becomes second nature to make diagrams. Another tip I picked up was make a detailed spreadsheet for all your practice tests. And be honest-- are you really putting in the time to review missed problems or are you just skimming them?

BraveDave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
After you do preptests analyze all of your mistakes. It is very important.

clay551

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »
Hey There everyone - I just joined this site and am hoping to get some help.  I'm 35 and have been out of the test taking game for a while now but have been studying for the LSAT for the last week (October Test Date).  I have the Master the LSAT book and 10 Acutal Tests.  I've completed a few of the games (logic) and can't seem to get more than 7 right out of 23/24!  At this point, I'm having a hard time even understanding why the answer is correct, even when explained in the book!  So - I am hoping to find a forum or some people to have a study group with.  Hell - I'll just take a support group at this juncture.  Any and all suggestions, help is welcomed!

morris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
Hi Clay
The LSAT, like any standardized test, is a game. It sounds like you are jumping into the deep end of the pool without first learning how to swim. You need to start with a plan. There are a lot out there but I suggest printing this one out

LSAT STUDY GUIDE

The consensus is that the PowerScore bibles are the best supplements. Once you have gone through those you need to work on timed tests. There is a series of ten actual tests that you can purchase fairly cheaply.  Time is your enemy. You need to recognize when to give up on a question and move on. Good luck. 

legalrabbit

• View Profile
    • Down the Legal Rabbit Hole
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Clay, I recently found out about Manhattan LSAT's forum and it's an amazing, free resource. I'm not affiliated with them but was intrigued because others have been raving about their help books. You can ask questions about any logic game, logical reasoning question, or reading passage from PT 1-63 and A, B, C and their instructors usually leave really helpful answers.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/?sid=164f01183c10bc3adb75441f5113d41a

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
october test he hardest ever.