Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT in October..Miami area?  (Read 446 times)

Pinkky

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT in October..Miami area?
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »
Hello everyone...I have been reading this forum for a while now and finally decided to register. ..I am a 26 year old female with a BA in Criminal Justice & Sociology and a MS in Criminal Justice and a MPH. I have been working investigating cases of child abuse for the past 4 years, but still not felt completely accomplished professionally. I woke up one morning and decided to change my goals and try to get into law school. I love to study and was wondering if I should do a PHd or professional school..but what the heck lets try the LSAT and take it from there....As i started researching and making multiple google searches regarding "law school" I have become excited and actually been dreaming every night of becoming a lawyer...Am I too old to start a new career? I have registered for the LSAT in October and have read it is the hardest...is this true? Also is there anyone in here taking it in Miami??Perhaps we can meet and study?
ps: Hoping to get good responses and perhaps meet new people...

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: LSAT in October..Miami area?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
If you want to make a difference and still feel accomplished in your career, get the PhD and do work specifically for victims of abuse. If you go to law school, the closest work that you can do to what you do now is criminal law, but there's no way to guarantee that you're going to have a job at the DA's office where you'll be getting case after case with victims of abuse. In fact, I can guarantee that you won't. You'll get everything, and only the occasional case dealing with victims of abuse, because no one gets to specialize on what kinds of cases they take. What's worse is that once you get to law school, chances are you won't want to practice criminal law. Something else will draw your attention, as it does in the vast majority of cases, and you'll put all thoughts of your current goals behind you.

So, if you want to build upon a career where you can choose who you help based on your strengths and experience, expand on what you're doing now. Law school will only hurt that.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Pinkky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
But that is the thing I do not feel accomplished at all in what I am doing now...I want a more reputable & respected career. I wanna be able to work independently and be able to truly help my clients.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »
Law school just won't do that for you. It's not going to give you that kind of contact with the people you want to help--victims rights advocates will get that, if you get a job as a prosecutor. If you want to help people, go into counseling. That will at least allow you to choose your clients and work with them directly to really help them. Working as an attorney isn't about the client or making things better, it's about solving problems strictly in a legal sense. Plumbers get more interaction with their clients than lawyers do.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
october test be hardest ever.