Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Live Alone or Roommate for 1L?  (Read 870 times)

j@s0n

• View Profile
    • Email
Live Alone or Roommate for 1L?
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Hey there,
I'm hoping some people can look back a little and remember your first year law situation.  It's right before the start of 1L for me, and I'm about to sign a lease for housing.  I hear a lot of negatives about living with a roommate...and am trying to remain open to the idea without prejudice from those negative stories.  Looking to keep my sanity during 1L and for whatever reason, think a cool and social (within reason of course) roommate could be helpful and not necessarily a hindrance.

Here's my situation:

Option 1 is my own unit in a building with a few other 2L's...each with our own entrance...all separate apartments.  About a 10 minute walk from the law school.  Older building with a dated appliances in the kitchen, no dishwasher.  Pretty small bathroom, but the rest of the living space is ample...and there's a coin-op washer/dryer in the basement.

Option 2 would be splitting a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment that has fully modern appliances, dishwasher and in unit Washer/Dryer.  This one is about a 20 minute walk to the law school.  I've met up with a 1L and talked about rooming together over a beer...we share a lot of interests...and he seems like a decent roommate.

Price difference is only $100 between the two....so that really isn't a sticking point for me. 

I guess I'm torn between the two, one is closer and more private...but the other is definitely more modern and it might be nice to have the built-in company to blow off steam with, laugh, converse, and share meals, etc.  But I may be able to share some of those moments with the 2L's in Option 1 also?

Looking for any advice, anecdotes, wisdom.......Thanks!
-Jason

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Live Alone or Roommate for 1L?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
I doubt a time in my life will ever come when I'll have a room-mate again, but having room-mates was some of the most fun I had in my younger days. 

I'd say if it's a fellow law school student, the odds are they'll be a lot like you:  goal-oriented, focused, not going to blare the stereo 'til all hours of the night.  Also, being able to study while your laundry washes is a nice touch.

I'd say go with whichever option feels right.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Live Alone or Roommate for 1L?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
I'd have to agree with falconjimmy.  If your roommate is a fellow law student, you should be okay.  Otherwise, I'd say live by yourself.  You don't want to end up with an undergrad, or anyone who has lots of time to stay out and/or have friends over.  Good luck.