Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Escaping the Baby Bar in CA - One Way, & Will Save You Money!  (Read 4486 times)

justanothersucker

Re: Escaping the Baby Bar in CA - One Way, & Will Save You Money!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
You guys seem to forget that it dosn't have to be ABA. It can also be "state accredited" and still work. Just make sure not to only end up in a "state approved" physical school, since there is a difference and the requirments reflect that fact.

JFK lawschool is an example of one that is NOT ABA but would still work for that first year plan.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
If you get into and attend an ABA-approved law school, it seems like it would be a huge waste to then transfer to an online law school. You'd unnecessarily limiting your post-graduate options: you'd have fewer opportunities and fewer places where you could practice.

True, but like I said, this strategy is for those who want to save money and avoid the Baby Bar i.e. take and pass your first year at an ABA school, then transfer to an online law school.  But yes, what you are saying should be strongly considered regarding post graduate consequences.  For guys like me, already in a profession, this is not an issue.

justanothersucker

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »
Once already in a physical school I'd say stay if you can too agreed. After all it would increase odds of being able to transfer states or at least look more legit to clients/employees/firms/etc(untill you get established at least)

justanothersucker

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:42 PM »
It also appears that you are exempt from the minibar even if academicly dismissed from the stateaccredited/ABA school as long as you complete 1L worth of credits. So if you are kicked out but "passed" with C-/D, you can still transfer to the online one and skip the exam.

A second chance for some? Sure.
A good investment? Maybe. You do still have to pass the bar at the end after all and CA claims to be the hardest of all the states.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »
Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to remind you all that I started this topic only to make us all aware of the fact that we can escape the hassle of the baby bar in CA by spending the money to go to an ABA accredited law school for 1L, and then continue on with online legal education in a law school that is registered with the Committee of Bar Examiners in CA. 

The baby bar can slow you down, like it has done for me, and at age 52, I am watching how quickly the years (and my mind) are going by.  So, if you want to save time, and money, just go to a ABA law school for one year, pass, and then move on to the lower cost CA registered online law schools.  If it's going to cost you just as much to do online as attending a traditional law school, then maybe go to the traditional law school.

Only you can determine the pros and cons of online law school vs. traditional law school e.g. time flexibility, work and family obligations, prestige requirements, your age, stage in career, etc...

This information is not intended for non-California jurisdictions.

Best Regards,

Ron

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
But that is illogical.  If you can pass the first year of an ABA accredited law school, you only have 2 more years to go but if you then ditch it, you have three years more at the online school. If you cannot pass the FYLSE, passing the bar after 1 years of ABA and 3 years online would likewise be hopeless. The FYLSE is far far easier than the bar exam. It has a low pass rate because the takers are either unqualified, do poorly on standardized tests or more likely have underestimated how much time studying is required to pass.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »
If you really want to save time and money while avoiding the Baby Bar, go to a CBE school.  It's half the price of an ABA, has better bar pass rates than online, and you don't need to take the FYLSE.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
They want to escape the FYLSE because they have no hope of passing it apprently.