Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help choosing a major!  (Read 454 times)

rube

• View Profile
Need help choosing a major!
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »
Transferable GPA: 2.966 / 58 units / IGETC is done for CSU & UC. GPA will probably be 3.1xx after the 6 remaining pre-reqs for the majors I have listed below.

I plan to become a human rights attorney / HRA.

I am the VP and COO of my business club. I enjoy learning about the potentially complex models of anything monetary related.

I was shooting for Criminology/Law/Society @ UCI, however after doing some research, it became apparent that some people thought that it would be of more benefit to an individual if they majored in a major related to economics. Is this because economics structures your mind to think dynamically and certain areas of law are considered very dynamic? I've always wondered.

I do not want to be constrained to practicing law only in the US - I want to travel the world, I want my knowledge to be internationally exercised. I truly do have a passion for helping the "less fortunate" - I have been around these people all my life, this is not something that will change.

The middle east is my focus. I see much opportunity there for a HRA, as well as business. I am fluent in Farsi (to the point where I can carry some of the more vocabulary-demanding political conversations) and I am learning Arabic. I see these languages as being to my advantage as a HRA.

I want my major to be help me with law school admission/law school itself/my career.

I was thinking of transferring to:

SDSU:

International Business/Emphasis in Africa/Middle East or Economics/Emphasis in International Economics.

OR

International Security And Conflict Resolution (there are 3 categories of specialization)

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~iiscor/program_information/specializations/environment_and_security.htm

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~iiscor/program_information/specializations/global_systems.htm

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~iiscor/program_information/specializations/CCCR.htm

CSULB:

International Business.

Or should I stick to CLS?

So...

1) Do these majors make sense when you pair academic/career goals?

2) Which schools (any you can think of as well) is worth shooting for, taking in consideration current standing?

3) What other activities do you suggest for law and/or major?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks for you time.

JDGuy86

• View Profile
Re: Need help choosing a major!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
Law schools for the most part care about numbers, not what your degree happens to be in.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »
1) General consensus appears to be that GPA is far more important than major. Hence choose something that you find interesting, and are willing to work hard enough at to do well.
2) To early to tell.
3) Do those things that you are passionate about, do not let activities negatively impact your school performance. Once you have wrapped up school, focus very hard on doing well on the LSAT.

Happy Hunting,

rube

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
I think I've decided to transfer as IS / CR w/ specialization in Global Systems.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I read exactly what I needed to know ;)