Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have I already shot myself in the foot?  (Read 1131 times)

Vivskies

• View Profile
Have I already shot myself in the foot?
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:24:23 AM »
So, I ended my freshmen year of college with a really low GPA (2.4-2.6).  :( Yeah, I know.
I go to a mid-tier University of California(UCI/UCSD) and my first quarter absolutely pummeled me. I ended up with a 1.4-1.6 GPA. After changing majors from Engineering to Economics after realizing that Engineering wasn't exactly my thing and changing lots of my studying habits, my grades have been showing a upward curve, with each semester's GPA being greater than the last. I was able to raise my GPA to 2.4-2.6 by the end of Freshmen year. I'm currently trying to do everything I can to raise my GPA (such as taking extra classes over the summer to boost my GPA, that are also relevant to my major though).

However, I'm wondering if I've pretty much excluded myself from top tier Law Schools such as NYU, USC (excluding Harvard/Stanford/Yale). I know you guys have mentioned the extra emphasis that is placed on GPA, so I'm wondering how far my terrible freshmen year GPA is going to hurt me.

Thanks Guys! ;D

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Have I already shot myself in the foot?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »
You have a rough start, and it is not going to do you any favors. Yet, it is important to remember that you cannot change what has already happened.

The good news is that it is still possible to end up with a GPA over 3.6 (according to back of the envelope calculations). This will not be easy, but it is possible. Do what you can to make the opportunities ahead of you count. If you can pull this off, you can put yourself between the 25-75% marks on many top schools (outside HYS).

Happy Hunting,

steveb55310

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
It is going to be very difficult.

I had a 2.6 GPA in my BA, but a 3.81 in my MA and a 3.5 in my PhD and even then I couldn't get into Neb, ASU, OR, etc.

I had a 158 LSAT. So, the LSAT and GPA are big.

Why you are worrying about it now, though, I don't understand. You have a LONG way to go. Get good grades and see how things shake out. Also, then see how you do on the LSAT. There are many areas that can trip you up.
But, worrying about it now is pointless as so many things can happen.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
You can still fix your GPA. I don't know if YHS are necessarily still in play, but there is no reason you can't bring that GPA up and be competitive at most of the T14 with a high enough LSAT score and getting that GPA up. Keep in mind that all courses count toward your GPA; that includes, for example, community college classes.