Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is a mid-year transfer?  (Read 1894 times)

MT2014

• View Profile
What is a mid-year transfer?
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
Going through the transfer process I noticed a "mid-year transfer" offered at some schools that is after the third semester of law school (or 1st semester of 2L year).  Does this "mid-year" transfer allow a student to completely transfer to another school or only to be a visiting student?  Also, do mid-year transfers transfer with their grades from the fall of their 2L year or just there 1L grades? 

I ask because I may be interested in pursuing this option depending on what I end up doing for the upcoming fall semester.

Thanks in advance. 

kjw5029

• View Profile
Re: What is a mid-year transfer?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
Hm I never heard of this after 3 semesters.  Make sure to check if that school caps the number of transferable credits.  If it's 30 maximum and you took 30 your first year, the 3rd semester at your old school is wasted. 

I have heard of schools doing it after 1 semester.  This is quite rare from what I gather. 

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Its just like any other transfer, but with more credits.  Only a few schools, Rutgers is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, allow it and I think the ABA max is 45 credits.  Your grades do not come with you at all in the transfer process, just credits.  Your grades, on any level including undergrad, never come with you.  You'll have to start a new GPA.

Its a full transfer, not a visit.  The time table is insanely tight.  Have your apps ready to send the day your grades come out after the fall semester.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
Its just like any other transfer, but with more credits.  Only a few schools, Rutgers is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, allow it and I think the ABA max is 45 credits.  Your grades do not come with you at all in the transfer process, just credits.  Your grades, on any level including undergrad, never come with you.  You'll have to start a new GPA.

Its a full transfer, not a visit.  The time table is insanely tight.  Have your apps ready to send the day your grades come out after the fall semester.

I never knew you could transfer after 3 semesters.  I double checked (just for my own info) and you're right, you can transfer to Rutgers after a year or after a year and a half and can transfer up to 42 credits.  I never heard of this before.  Good to know though.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
Only a few schools are willing to deal with it. Probably because the time table is so tight.  There are a few more schools that allow it, but the only one I can remember is Rutgers.  Maybe MD too.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."