Law Students > 3L job search

Clerkships: State v. Federal

(1/1)

joq888:
I'm applying for federal clerkships in SF (where I go to school), LA, DC, and NY. I have extern experience at NY state Supreme (trial level, there) and 9th circuit district court. I basically want to keep my geographic options open for the long-run and i'm wondering how much a state clerkship will limit my prospects if I decide to go somewhere else. Specifically, the judge I externed for in NY introduced me to an appellate level judge that he's very good friends with. he's been a wonderful reference for me, and i think i have a shot. but will i be "stuck" in ny? will chances of getting hired after that in CA be diminished? thanks

john4040:

--- Quote from: joq888 on July 14, 2011, 06:51:25 PM ---I'm wondering how much a state clerkship will limit my prospects if I decide to go somewhere else...

--- End quote ---

None.

--- Quote from: joq888 on July 14, 2011, 06:51:25 PM ---will i be "stuck" in ny? will chances of getting hired after that in CA be diminished? thanks

--- End quote ---

No.  Even though a CA clerkship would be more valuable if you're planning on practicing in CA, a clerkship from any state is valuable.

Not sure why your thread is entitled "Clerkships: State v. Federal"  If you're asking whether a federal clerkship would make you more marketable, the answer is "yes."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version