Law School Discussion

10k (Whittier) vs. 12,500 (Western)

10k (Whittier) vs. 12,500 (Western)
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:25:05 AM »
10k for 1L from Whittier or 12,500 from Western, whose tuiton is also $2,000 cheaper.

At Western State University the renewal requirement is a 2.6 gpa. If you earn a 3.0 or above for 1L, you are automatically eligible for a full-tuition scholarhip for years 2 & 3.
Also, no curve.

At Whittier- tough curve. must be in the top 5% to be considered for a full scholarship.
Must be in top 20% to keep scholarship.

Any thoughts?


  • ****
  • 1466
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10k (Whittier) vs. 12,500 (Western)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
Well the Whittier curve is extremely tough and there is an 80% chance you won't keep your scholarship there. Nothing against you, but pretty much anyone at an ABA school thinks they will be in the top 10-20%, but you don't need to be a math major to figure out 80-90% of people won't be in the top 10-20%.

Now I don't know what Western State's curve is I tried to look at their handbook, but I didn't see the curve. Generally speaking at an ABA especially one that gives out scholarships based on you maintaining a certain GPA it is very difficult to achieve the GPA. I am just speculating that it will be difficult to maintain a 2.6 at Western, but I would specifically ask them what Western State's curve is.

The schools are about equal, but I might give a slight edge to Whittier, because it has been ABA approved for much longer than Western State, which just received accreditation. I would also e-mail some practicing attorneys from those schools and see what they have to say.

Either way good luck.

Re: 10k (Whittier) vs. 12,500 (Western)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:49 AM »
I'm currently in the same situation. What did you end up doing?