Which school?

CUNY (est. debt: $40K)
 0 (0%)
Northeastern (est. debt: $105K)
 1 (50%)
Current T1 school (est. debt: $70K)
 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Northeastern, CUNY or stay out west  (Read 705 times)

outofthewest

• View Profile
Northeastern, CUNY or stay out west
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
I'm currently in good standing at a top 50 school out west, but I don't like the area or the culture and I'm getting worried about the cost, even with in-state tuition and some scholarship money. I want to do public interest law and have strong ties to the New York area, and I'm looking at CUNY as a more affordable option to achieve that goal. However, I've found it really hard to find good information on CUNY since it has such a narrow niche. My other option is Northeastern, which is great for public interest and has a very attractive co-op program, but is even more expensive than my current school. My final option is to just stay put for another year, then do a study-away my third year and network as best I can.

Anyone familiar with either of these schools who can help me make a decision? Any advice generally?

islanders88

• View Profile
Re: Northeastern, CUNY or stay out west
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »
So long as you are interested in public interest law than CUNY is a good way to go.  My understanding is that the teaching is actually a bit different there than the other local schools.  How so, I am not sure.  Long Island City is a bit of a rough neighborhood as well.  If you can find somewhere in Astoria area (still Queens) it's nice there.  One other nice thing about CUNY is that you will have access to all CUNY libraries not just the law school's.  Which may come in handy around finals.