Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criticism of New York Times Article regarding debt/job prospects  (Read 598 times)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Many people cite to this article and I want to discredit a lot of what is says to give some encouragement to future 0L's. In all honesty this guy made a lot of mistakes and his own decisions are likely more responsible for the situation he is in than his law school. A short of list of the very obvious mistakes he made.

Page 5 of this article are where the actual facts about this guy pop up.
1) Page 5 He BORROWED SO MUCH MONEY AS A FIRST YEAR student that he nearly put down a deposit on a 350,000 condo. He had not worked a day in his first year of law school and was trying to buy a condo on student loan money. I am almost certain this is illegal and a violation of the direct loans promissory note you sign. This is one of many mistakes he made along the way.

2) Continued on Page 5 in the summer after his first year instead of working he studied abroad in a spacious apartment in France. Again on borrowed money.

3) Then this poor guy again who never worked a day over three years lived in a spacious apartment instead of buying his $350,000 condo on borrowed money.

4) He borrowed another $15,000 to study for the bar, which seems a bit high.  That might be reasonable, but considering he had rented a spacious apartment in San Diego for three years and studied in France he should have been a little more careful, but none of that. The mistakes don't end there.

5) On page 5 he says I am not very good at keeping records. He is supposed to be a lawyer and he is not good at keeping records no wonder he can't get hired. Keeping track of evidence and being responsible is somewhat important for a lawyer and it is not something law school can teach you. It is just plain responsibility.

6) Page 6 he moved from San Diego to New York on Page 6 it was Queens so not as expensive, but moving cross country is highly expensive move and he moved another high cost of living area.

7) Then the kicker so he has a job granted a low paying one, but a job. This is again on Page 6 during a firm wide lunch his employer wanted to everyone to thank him for giving him labor day off. Sure that sucks, but he was there a month and instead he said the following.

Direct from Page 6
“When it was my turn, I said, ‘Labor Day is about celebrating the 40-hour workweek, weekends, that sort of thing,’ ” Mr. Wallerstein recalls. “She said, ‘Well, workers have that now so you don’t need a day off to celebrate it.’ ”

He lasted less than a month.

Conclusion:
This article was geared to making this guy look sympathetic and there is a list of 7 things that are just plain dumb. I don't even want to know what they would have uncovered if they actually looked into more facts. What we know about this guy is during the first year of law school when you are trying to achieve a high class rank he was buying trying to buy a condo on borrowed money. He is not good at keeping records by his own admission and there is no indication he worked at all during law school. A few weeks into his first job he insults his boss and can't keep a job. All of these things are on him not TJSL and I hate that the New York times is putting these type of stories out blaming the schools instead of the students for their bad decisions. Maybe one day law students will take an ounce of accountability for themselves.