Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice/Feedback on the CA Moral Character and Fitness  (Read 589 times)

tinyhugemistake

• View Profile
Advice/Feedback on the CA Moral Character and Fitness
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a rising 2L in CA. I was a huge moron and got arrested for shoplifting at the beginning of my 1L year ($60 of stuff). I very nearly dropped out at that point because I figured I wouldn't be able to pass the bar. Then I talked to the Dean of Students, and she encouraged me to stay in and work on demonstrating rehabilitation. I looked at the list of criteria on the CA website, and the other state I might like to practice in. The arrest is the only thing on my record, it will likely be dismissed in Nov after a year probation and 8 days of community labor, so I was feeling better about graduation

However, I met a young woman who's been out of Law school of 2 years and is still working as a clerk. She hasn't been able to pass the CA character and fitness part of the Bar because of a DUI she got her 2L year.

So now I'm terrified that I'm about to sink 2 more years and another 60,000 (I have a decent tuition scholarship, so books, fees, and living expenses are costing me about 30 grand a year) and not be able to practice when I'm done. I feel like shoplifting is way worse than a DUI since it's a crime of moral turpitude.

If anyone has any similar experiences, or advice, I'd really appreciate it. I plan to call the Bar association to see if I can talk to anyone about what I could do to help my application.

Thanks!

like_lasagna

• View Profile
Re: Advice/Feedback on the CA Moral Character and Fitness
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
You say the charge will "likely be dismissed." Is this through a diversion/deferred prosecution program? If so, you might have a better shot at getting past C&F than someone with a conviction for DUI.

I'd try to find an attorney who specializes in this stuff, though.