Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where can I get in?  (Read 1687 times)

TM4217

• View Profile
Where can I get in?
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
Hey, I have a 3.73 GPA as a Management Major in the School of Business at WNEC. I have a double minor in Economics and Entrepreneurship, along with an SAP certification. I scored a 142 on my original LSAT exam, but just received a 148 after taking it recently. I was wondering what my chances are now for getting into WNEC both as a full-time or as a part-time student. Was hoping maybe anyone could help or if anyone from WNEC would know or was close to these scores. I am also looking at applying to the new UMASS Dartmouth Law School as I heard they are applying for AB A accredidation and will more liekly than not get it within the next 4 years (time I would graduate). Any information on UMASS and my chances there as well? My other schools of interest in order based on location and preferring to go to school in Mass (closer to Western Mass) are: WNEC, UMass, Suffolk, New England Law, UCONN, Quinnipiac, North Eastern, Roger Williams, UNH, Vermont. Any others closer that I may have missed, please feel free to tell me. Thanks very much, I appreciate any help I can get.

UsernameUsername

• View Profile
Re: Where can I get in?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
Yea dude you are going to have a tougher time getting in anywhere with a 148----but at the same time you could very well pull it off. Forget Suffolk, UCONN, Quinnipiac, Northeastern, and Vermont straight up. Definitely apply to WNEC (decent chance), UMass Dartmouth (could work for you), New England (probably a reach), Roger Williams (respectable shot), and UNH (reach). Maybe also throw in a couple of random schools outside that area just in case----maybe a Florida Gulf Coast down in Florida or a Charleston School of Law.

Don't bank on that gpa man. lsats matter more but what that gpa does for you is it will likely allow 1-2 of those aforementioned schools to give you a shot. But dude also remember you won't be getting a dime from any of these schools. I'm not of the school of thought that going to a bad/lower tier school is a dumb idea (heck I'm going to one), but just make sure you plan on being a capable lawyer with the debt coming your way after graduation. Also try and work your ass off first year and get good enough grades to negotiate a scholarship or transfer to get a better deal. Any how good luck.

-Boston native who knows college and law schools

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
Hey, I have a 3.73 GPA as a Management Major in the School of Business at WNEC. I have a double minor in Economics and Entrepreneurship, along with an SAP certification. I scored a 142 on my original LSAT exam, but just received a 148 after taking it recently. I was wondering what my chances are now for getting into WNEC both as a full-time or as a part-time student. Was hoping maybe anyone could help or if anyone from WNEC would know or was close to these scores. I am also looking at applying to the new UMASS Dartmouth Law School as I heard they are applying for AB A accredidation and will more liekly than not get it within the next 4 years (time I would graduate). Any information on UMASS and my chances there as well? My other schools of interest in order based on location and preferring to go to school in Mass (closer to Western Mass) are: WNEC, UMass, Suffolk, New England Law, UCONN, Quinnipiac, North Eastern, Roger Williams, UNH, Vermont. Any others closer that I may have missed, please feel free to tell me. Thanks very much, I appreciate any help I can get.

First, congrats on a truly impressive gpa in a tough program of study.

I am a little like you,b ut on the opposite extreme.  (3.0 gpa, 159 lsat.)

I was able to get into the school of my choice and even got a half-ride.  So, I think there are a lot of schools you can get into.  The lsac web-site has a law school predictor to give you an idea of your chances.

https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

JDGuy86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
I had a 149 and didn't get into UMASS Dartmouth last year, although my gpa was closer to the 3.0 area.

Widener might be a good option for you though.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »
I would retake the LSAT a third time. Getting over a 150 would make a big difference in terms of opening up more schools.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »

Lawschoolnumbers.com is a great website to answer these type of questions. You can look at every school and see what numbers got in where. Also if you are a URM with a 3.7 & 148 it will make a significant difference in where you can get in. You can see how important URM status is on lawschoolnumbers.com good luck.

As far as the LSAT goes it might be worth a retake. Most schools take your highest score so you really don't have anything to lose.