Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need some good advise......  (Read 2484 times)

thebilt05

• View Profile
I need some good advise......
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »
Im 24 yrs old traditional student graduated UG with 2.3GPA
Currently enrolled in grad school just finished first semester with 3.5GPA
From Louisiana planning on applying to
Loyola(New Orleans)
LSU
Tulane
Southern University
U of Houston
Texas Southern

Applying for Fall 2012

Taking LSAT in Oct, what do you think I need to make on it and do you think the admissions will take into consideration grad school GPA.

Okay and one more question what is an addedem(maybe spelled it worng) ..... and when should one of these should be written, and can personal statement include reasons why UGPA is low ... no illness or tragedies .... just young dumb and didnt care about school until junior year. honest truth And if I get a 165 on the LSAT what top 50 school would be splitter friendly 

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: I need some good advise......
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
Taking LSAT in Oct, what do you think I need to make on it...

As high as you can possibly get. Don't shoot for admission, shoot for scholarship money and hopefully lots of it.

...do you think the admissions will take into consideration grad school GPA

No, they won't. Undergraduate GPA and LSAT score are pretty much all that matter unless you've done something spectacular, like cured cancer.

...what is an addedem(maybe spelled it worng)

Addendum. And you should write one to explain the very large disparity between your undergraduate GPA and your graduate GPA. Don't use "apathy" as an excuse; try an approach more like, "I was immature and lacked direction, but matured in the second half of undergrad and did much better--see my graduate GPA? Awesome, huh?!?!"

And if I get a 165 on the LSAT what top 50 school would be splitter friendly

Do a Google search for "law school admissions calculator" and go through those to get an idea of where you'll land with different numbers. But again, don't shoot for a number, shoot for the absolute best you can possibly do.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

thebilt05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
thanks for the advice..... your right.... i will try and shoot for scholly money i really want to do so good on the lsat in Oct. that i get a full ride at Southern or LSU or even Texas Southern ......

If you dont mind me asking where do you attend law school .....?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
I don't. I'm done with all that silliness. :D
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
An addendum should be used to explain away a low GPA/LSAT score. I think addendums are helpful if you have a good reason for a low GPA. Some possible topics for an addendum are:

1. Started in Pre-Med with Analytically Rigorous Courses. Did Average in those, but decided not to become a doctor and switched to Humanties where my GPA shot up. Please put the somewhat lower grades I received as a Freshman and Sophomore in the context of my major at the time.

2. I became ill. GPA was solid prior to the illness. GPA was solid after the illness. Please place my GPA in the context of the my illness.

3. I'm 28 Years old. My GPA was earned much earlier in life. Since then I have received a masters in XX with a HIGH GPA and I have been working for several years. Additionally, because I've been working my LSAT is more reflective of my current ability. [Should have a compelling LSAT to match]

Under no circumstances would I be "honest" with the adcoms and say you were just young and immature and didn't care about school. That seems like an auto ding to me.

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »
Im 24 yrs old traditional student graduated UG with 2.3GPA
Currently enrolled in grad school just finished first semester with 3.5GPA
From Louisiana planning on applying to
Loyola(New Orleans)
LSU
Tulane
Southern University
U of Houston
Texas Southern

Applying for Fall 2012

Taking LSAT in Oct, what do you think I need to make on it and do you think the admissions will take into consideration grad school GPA.

Okay and one more question what is an addedem(maybe spelled it worng) ..... and when should one of these should be written, and can personal statement include reasons why UGPA is low ... no illness or tragedies .... just young dumb and didnt care about school until junior year. honest truth And if I get a 165 on the LSAT what top 50 school would be splitter friendly

Be yourself and go for it.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »
october test be hardest ever.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:54 AM »
not misquote julie.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
Wonder how things panned out for this guy.  Unless he cracked the 170 mark, there's no way he was getting into LSU, Tulane, or U of Houston.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
someone been doing some that nasty deleting.