Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommendations - convo to have with profs  (Read 1110 times)

undergrad2009

• View Profile
Recommendations - convo to have with profs
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »
Hi all,

I will be applying for Fall 2012 admission and am planning to speak with a couple professors about recommendation letters. I've already had convos with them in the past and have kept in touch since graduating, and they are willing to write rec letters. I also think they can write good ones, since I have taken a lecture and a seminar, and written papers for, both of them. My question is, what can I do to make the most of the conversations I have with these two professors when I catch up with them and provide them with what they need for rec letters? I'll be giving them transcripts, the needed LSAC documents, a resume, and will probably email them a paper or multiple papers I wrote for their classes. I'll probably also want to walk them through what I've been up to in the last couple years. Is there anything else I should say or ask in order to help them write very good rec letters?

Thanks!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Recommendations - convo to have with profs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
You might ask them what they want from you.  I had one that wanted a sample letter basically covering everything I thought he should mention.  It's also probably good to remind them of anecdotal personal things since a letter reporting only your academic performance is gonna be pretty bland and not likely to make your application stand out.