Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone taken distance/online law courses from University of South Africa?  (Read 722 times)

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
I found this school, University of South Africa, several years ago, but was hesitant to try this school because of their bad economy and rumors of riots.  The application I sent them took over one month, and I could not get anyone to correspond with me through email.  They are a common law country, which is what you need to be aware of when taking law courses from other countries, as most of our states will require foreign law study to be from common law countries.

Their tuition is very reasonable, but I didn't want to take a chance at getting a bad experience.  I will really appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken UNISA's LLB program.  Here is their website  http://www.unisa.ac.za/Default.asp?Cmd=ViewContent&ContentID=15672   

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I looked at this website a few months ago.  It is  vague on fees and on the application process.    I have seen this kind of nebulous way of doing business before.  Most, of the time, it does not lead to good results for the buyer. When a seller does not "spell it out in black and white", there is usually nothing substantial behind all the "smoke and mirrors."   And, even though, like Great Britain, it is a common law country, the mental gymnastics an American graduate of these foreign law schools would have to go through, i.e. the American justice system vs. the European or South African justice system, while studying for an American bar exam can be daunting. 

I'm not saying that my school, Mid-Atlantic, is any better.  But, then again, I am not relying solely on a J.D. from Mid-Atlantic for my success.  I am depending heavily on authoring as many articles on legal issues as I can to "get my name out there in the legal community." (See:  works.bepress.com/angela_passaro) And, my final project for Mid-Atlantic will be a hornbook on domestic violence in California.   Studying at Mid-Atlantic gives me the structure that I need to keep going.    I also intend to get my foot in the door by passing the Certified Legal Assistant exam in 2012.

You are doing quite well for yourself, financialandtaxguy, on the path you are already on.  As an African-American, I think that anyone considering an education from a Third World country, should really wait until these countries prove themselves to buyers who can stand to lose a few thousand and have it not even make a dent in their financial resources.
Angie

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
(See:  works.bepress.com/angela_passaro) And, my final project for Mid-Atlantic will be a hornbook on domestic violence in California.   Studying at Mid-Atlantic gives me the structure that I need to keep going.    I also intend to get my foot in the door by passing the Certified Legal Assistant exam in 2012.

Can you give me your link again, for some reason the link you gave supra did not work for me.  Can you please elaborate on what you meant by "getting your foot in the door by passing the CLA exam in 2012," i.e. what door are you talking about?

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Get my foot in the door of working in the legal field without being a receptionist.
works.bepress.com/angela_passaro.
Angie

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
My web page is not in hyperlink format because I'm viewing and composing from my HTC G1 phone.
Angie