Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 156 LSAT - School Questions!  (Read 3130 times)

shaydak08

• View Profile
156 LSAT - School Questions!
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »
Hey,

I just received my underwhelming LSAT score of a 156. My GPA is 3.65 at Florida State University. What are my chances at getting into UF, University of Tennessee, FSU, or Georgia State with a my score and GPA? I would just really like some advice, because I am debating on  if I should take it again in October or not. Thanks! (I'm also a Middle Eastern minority, if that helps any! lol.....I hope it does in the end!)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 156 LSAT - School Questions!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »
There is no better site to answer this type of question than lawschoolnumbers.com. You can look at each school and see who got in with what numbers, what their soft factors were, and whether or not they received scholarship money.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 156 LSAT - School Questions!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
It seems like your GPA is perfect for FSU. Your LSAT score seems a little low, but not impossible. Strong soft factors may ease a few points off of the LSAT - but not much.

It seems that people only recommend retaking the test if you feel like your score was either nowhere near your actual score OR you can score much higher. The median LSAT score for FSU is 159 (the range is 158-161). Worst case scenario a school will average your LSAT scores. So you will have to score a 162 or better on your next LSAT to make it into their median. Best case scenario is a school takes the top score, or adds more weight to top score (though I wouldn't always count on it) and so a 160s score would be awesome. If you can get your LSAT score into the mid/low 160s or higher I would def. retake it. If not, work your butt off on the soft factors (personal statement, letters of recommendation, etc.) and apply anyways. Add an addendum explaining why your score may have been lower that day - etc.

Throughout this process I would still keep LSAT on your mind and continue working on it to bring your score up. If you dont get accepted into places you want you can then retake it and apply for the next cycle - again, presuming you bring your score up into the 160s. This may also give you more time to buff up your soft factors/resume.

The above has been my take on what the avg. person would say - maybe someone else has more specifics?

Good Luck!