Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st LSAT score: 143. Want to improve to 160's.  (Read 8764 times)

maximillion

• View Profile
    • Email
1st LSAT score: 143. Want to improve to 160's.
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:45:44 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm here in hopes of getting some advice.  I took the lsat for the first time at the beginning of this month and received my score a couple of days ago.
I have a 2.72 GPA and I scored 143 on the LSAT. I really didn't study at all, I really wish I did.  It was just really difficult to find the time with my busy work schedule.

I plan on retaking the LSAT again in October.  What are some tips and pointers to improve my LSAT score? I'm aiming for 160 to improve my chances of getting into more law schools.  As of right now, my chances of being admitted to law school is very slim.

I've been reading around and this is what I plan on doing, I'm not sure if this is good enough. I can't afford to take classes therefore I plan on studying on my own.  I've managed to get actual tests from previous years and also preptests from lsac. I plan on spending around an hour each day working on one section of a test and then review my answers and focus on the answers I got wrong.  On the weekend, I would try to take the entire test. I plan on doing this from beginning of July up until the end of September, right before my LSAT on October 1, 2011.

Will this method be enough to improve my score up to 160's? Even if it's low 160's I would still be very happy.  I have read that the powerscore logical bible helps a lot. I have a copy of the book and I plan on reading it.  What are your feedbacks and opinions about the book and how helpful it is? I would like to focus on techniques that will help me most at improving my score.

Thanks for reading, hope you guys can help me out with advice, opinions.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: 1st LSAT score: 143. Want to improve to 160's.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
I plan on spending around an hour each day...Will this method be enough to improve my score up to 160's?

Probably not.  This is a very flimsy study schedule.  First, one hour a day is weaksauce.  Bump that to 3 or 4 at least.  (No, really.  You've got 24 hours in a day like everyone else.  If you're serious about going to a good law school, sacrifice something and find the time to study.)  Second, you need to do more than focus on whole sections.  Split everything up into categories, e.g., games by type, LR questions by type, and RC passages by type (journalistic, argumentative, multiple points of view, split passages).  Each night pick a category and focus on it for several hours.  Learn it backwards and forwards.  Find a good prep book that uses REAL preptest questions to give you instruction on attacking each of the categories of material.  Near the end of your prep, start working in whole sections and whole preptests, focusing on pacing.

17 points is a tall order, and it's going to be very difficult without a solid plan of attack and LOTS of repetitive practice.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
october test be hardest ever.

PreProBono

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
Hi Maximillion,

If you don't mind us asking, where do you live? We hold free LSAT programs so we might be able to help you study if you apply to one of our programs. Let us know. If this is not possible, we could talk about creating a good study regime for you.

Good luck!
-PreProBono

maximillion

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:27:21 AM »
Hello, I live in Portland Oregon.

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Work on practicing the test rather than just taking exams.  I have so many students that just try to jam on timed exams and neglect to actually figure out waht the issue is. Do not focus on time until four weeks prior to the exam.  Take the time to figure out where you went wrong on the test.   

I would imagine with your score you do not have a firm understanding of necessary and sufficient.  Many students think that they do but do not firmly understand the concepts when they are illustrated in a purposefully difficult fashion. 

Even though I am the founder of the website in my handle I would seriously suggest it to anyone trying to master logic games that do not have the budget for large test prep companies.  I discourage books as the game setups are not revealed to you in real time.   Games are best learned either live or on video.  Live is very expensive but perhaps the most effective depending on the teacher.  Videos are effective if one is seld motivated.

Tom

LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com

BraveDave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07:22 PM »
One man ones said: "We all WANT to be the best, but only few are ready to sacrifice to BE the best".

Unfortunately, LSAC does not care about your job, girlfriend and family problems. When I was getting ready for my first LSAT I had to drive about 2-3 hours a day and I really wished that there was something like an audio LSAT to practice it in a car. If you want to jump from 143 to 160+ you need at least 4 hours a day. And these hours should be spent wisely. Practice tests and go over your wrong answers. Read some guides. More importantly remember that arguments are 50% of your score so in any talk you have with your friends, or in any statement by a politician look for flaws and assumptions. These makes preparation more fun and allows you to prepare while you are busy doing other stuff.

Xlogic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
I've managed to get actual tests from previous years and also preptests from lsac. I plan on spending around an hour each day working on one section of a test and then review my answers and focus on the answers I got wrong.  On the weekend, I would try to take the entire test. I plan on doing this from beginning of July up until the end of September, right before my LSAT on October 1, 2011.

Will this method be enough to improve my score up to 160's? Even if it's low 160's I would still be very happy.  I have read that the powerscore logical bible helps a lot. I have a copy of the book and I plan on reading it.  What are your feedbacks and opinions about the book and how helpful it is? I would like to focus on techniques that will help me most at improving my score.

Thanks for reading, hope you guys can help me out with advice, opinions.

Powerscore is great for LR (in my opinion). I think they do a good job of addressing all question types. But I don't subscribe to the "do not read the question first" model suggested by Powerscore; other than that, Powerscore LR is great! (Pay extra attention to necessary and sufficient conditions)

For LG, I've gone through both Powerscore and ManhattanLSAT books. I think the latter wins out because the diagramming tools suggested by ManhattanLSAT are more intuitive. The tool for binary grouping is great (works for most binary grouping games).

For RC, none of the books impress me. I've taken bits and pieces from here and there... still finding my way in this section. I think practice-practice-practice is the rule of the game here.

Good luck :)

legalrabbit

• View Profile
    • Down the Legal Rabbit Hole
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
I plan on spending around an hour each day...Will this method be enough to improve my score up to 160's?

Probably not.  This is a very flimsy study schedule.  First, one hour a day is weaksauce.  Bump that to 3 or 4 at least.  (No, really.  You've got 24 hours in a day like everyone else.  If you're serious about going to a good law school, sacrifice something and find the time to study.)  Second, you need to do more than focus on whole sections.  Split everything up into categories, e.g., games by type, LR questions by type, and RC passages by type (journalistic, argumentative, multiple points of view, split passages).  Each night pick a category and focus on it for several hours.  Learn it backwards and forwards.  Find a good prep book that uses REAL preptest questions to give you instruction on attacking each of the categories of material.  Near the end of your prep, start working in whole sections and whole preptests, focusing on pacing.

17 points is a tall order, and it's going to be very difficult without a solid plan of attack and LOTS of repetitive practice.

+1

An hour is less than 2 timed sections of the LSAT!! You should try to increase your endurance since the test is a 4-6 hour marathon.