Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternative to University of London - Northumbria University  (Read 12914 times)

cusc2011

• View Profile
Re: Alternative to University of London - Northumbria University
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
ABA Journal article published in 2012 - short article on Online University of Washington LLM program in American Legal studies.  The Online LLM program is set to launch in 2013.  Newspaper article says Online LLM program will probably allow graduates to take California bar.  Online Program doesn't launch till 2013,

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/washington_university_law_school_offers_online_ll.m._for_foreign_lawyers/

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:02 PM »
It says foreign lawyers not law students:

"ABA Journal article published in 2012 - short article on Online University of Washington LLM program in American Legal studies.  The Online LLM program is set to launch in 2013.  Newspaper article says Online LLM program will probably allow graduates to take California bar.  Online Program doesn't launch till 2013,

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/washington_university_law_school_offers_online_ll.m._for_foreign_lawyers/

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
LOL!  I can always count on you lol Yes, thats what the news article says, but I'm sure their application will say LLB or first law degree.  Articles on FCSL say the same thing but the actual application and all the other LLM schools in US / American Legal studies only require LLB degree except for John Marshall in Atlanta.  There currently is no info on the exact requirements on their web-site regarding the online LLM program without registering on their site.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »
Are you able to point us to one attorney in the United States who obtained an online LLB, who did not qualify as a solicitor first, and then was admitted in the US on the strength of an online LLM?  If such a person exists, UofL or Northumbria should be able to supply their name(s) since bar membership in the US is a public record.

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
I  disagree, the online LLB plus the online LLM in American Legal Studies will work in California as of today. Yes, they are people that have taken the distance learning route in foreign law school plus a LLM from a ABA school that are lawyers.  Just as there are some that have read the law, they just not all out in the open on the internet with their info but they are plenty that are out there. 

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
Like I said, I  might be totally wrong. Personally, I love the fact that CA offers alternatives to the traditional ABA-dominated route to bar admission. I think our state accredited schools are an especially good example, and one which other states would do well to emulate. I really do wish you the best of luck. 

Just curious, why not get a J.D. from one of the online or correspondance CA schools, which would definitely meet eligibility standards? The cost would probably be about the same if you factor in the LL.M, and some (like Taft) seem to have okay bar pass rates.

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
I contacted the California Bar Examiners, they indicated that you need to prove through one of the evaluation services that you have obtain a first law degree from a foreign country.  I asked if a distance learning LLB degree would qualify.  They said that all you need is a first law degree, plus take a ABA LLM or a state accredited LLM that has the required California courses.

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
The California bar examiners said don't get caught up in the rules, that yes, the rules doesnt mention distance learning LLB.  They said you have to prove that your foreign law degree is a first law degree period.  Below is the evaluation form that needs to be filled out.

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MYbZ-mwkN50%3d&tabid=2267

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
OK:

"Yes, they are people that have taken the distance learning route in foreign law school plus a LLM from a ABA school that are lawyers."

1.  You cannot name a single lawyer who went this route

2.   You are incorrect, foreign law school graduates absent a foreign license to practice, will be looked at carefully - otherwise why not go to school in Zimbabwe or Nigeria, that's even cheaper and the common law?

3.  Bar examiners don't get caught up in the rules?  You've got to be kidding.

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
I spoke to the California Bar Examiner on 11/1/2012, the person I spoke with, is the person that wrote the California Bar Eligibilty Rules. Let me repeat, I spoke to the person that wrote the California Bar eligibility rules.  They were very helpful, they went over the requirements, and they walked me through everything regarding eligibility.  I asked would a distance learning llb qualify because it is silent and that it is not mentioned.  They said they wrote the rules and not to get caught up in the rules, they said they have the same conversation all the time with people.  They said no the distance learning llb is not mentioned.  They lead me to the evaluation form online and said that you have to prove your LLB is a first law degree period plus you need  either ABA LLM or a state accredited LLM with the required Califorinia courses.

I took your advice and called the California Bar Examiner and I'm glad I did because I got a chance to speak with the person who wrote the rules, no better person to make clarity.  So, that's all I need to hear, I hope the info I provided will help or encourage others that there are other avenues. As of today, you can have a distance learning LLB from the UK and a online ABA LLM or state accredited school with the required Cali courses, and as long as you can prove that it is a first law degree you will meet the requirements.  Call the California Bar examiners to get clarity that you need. I hope this info can be helpful to someone, because there are a lot of negativity on these boards, seek the knowledge for yourself and follow your dreams, when one door closes another opens.