Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Intro + Info Request  (Read 474 times)

MrsElleMonk

• View Profile
Intro + Info Request
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
Hello - I'm a 24 yr old New Yorker who, after about two years in the work force, is looking for a career change. I worked in financial services and truly loved it. I am considering a career as either an Intellectual property lawyer, a securities lawyer, or an Estate planning lawyer, with the latter being my first choice. Is it normal to have such a specific goal right off the bat? I plan to have an open mind as I'm sure I will learn about plenty of other career options and types of law during my studies.

With that question aside, I have another - my UGPA is U.G.L.Y. (2.83 EEEK!!!!!) and I have yet to prep for/take the LSAT. I was an English Rhetoric and Composition major with a Minor in philosophy who generally did pretty well in subjects I was interested, such as core classes and the occasional Yoga/Self Defense class (not lying).  Now that I'm older and (hopefully) more mature, do you think it's possible for a good school to overlook my sheisty UGPA if I can manage at least a 165 on my LSAT??

Also, do you think someone with my educational background will have difficulty absorbing study material and basic concepts for the LSAT?

Looking forward to any responses. Thanks in advance.
"The idea is to constantly learn. You are always taking an examination. There is no end to learning... There is no real end to what can be done by whom."

- Thomas Friedman, The World is Flat

blue54

• View Profile
Re: Intro + Info Request
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
From what I know/have heard, law schools generally weigh the LSAT heavier than your UGPA. That being said, your UGPA is still very important, especially when trying to land a nice scholarship, and when trying to get into a good school. Check out www.lawschoolnumbers.com and you will be able to see who was accepted where and with what UGPA/LSAT combination.

The LSAT is the great equalizer.  A 165 is a very ambitious goal and I commend you on setting your standards as such. But just remember, if you haven't taken a practice LSAT yet, you really don't know where you will end up. I believe the average LSAT is around a 148. The most important thing about the LSAT is practice, practice, practice, as there is no real substantive facts on it. You need to develop good strategies, as it is really a test about taking tests, in a sense. I studied English as an undergrad, and that helped with the arguments and reading comprehension section, but it did jack for me with the logic games (which happened to be my downfall).  Your background appears to provide you with a good foundation for easily understanding the concepts that the LSAT tests you on, but, as I said before, it is the great equalizer, and it's impossible to predict if you will be a good LSAT test taker until you start actually answering questions and applying the LSAT strategies to real questions under timed conditions. Look online, or just go to Borders or Barnes & Noble and flip through an LSAT prep course book and see what it is like.

I apologize for not giving you a definitive answer yes or no if your background will prepare you for the LSAT or not, but realize that, unlike medical school, law school doesn't demand a certain background for 1L students, so in theory, any one with any sort of background is just as prepared as the next person. I have friends who scored high with English backgrounds, engineering backgrounds, and poli sci backgrounds. I have also had friends with the same backgrounds score very low. It's all about practicing the questions over and over again and getting a feel for the test itself. And remember, although they say the LSAT is a good indicator of how you will do in your first year of law school, for the most part that's a load of crap. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but hit the top 10% in my 1L year.  Now I am currently studying for the bar examination, and it makes the LSAT looks like child's play haha. Good luck with your future!

MrsElleMonk

• View Profile
Re: Intro + Info Request
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
That was an incredibly helpful and informative post! I really appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me. I seem to be okay on the logic games, but for me, I think practicing is going to be huge so I can think quicker. I feel that with such a low UGPA, the only hope for me is to get an awesome LSAT. I think I have a plan in mind and have already set a meeting with a law professor to discuss my options and whether or not this is the right move for me. I want to go into this as prepared as I can be. I never applied myself during college, but I feel Law school would be such a different thing - I know I could be great if only I put the building blocks in place and give it my very best. I know I've got some LOOOOONG years ahead of me, starting with intensive studying for the LSAT, and I really appreciate your added scope.
"The idea is to constantly learn. You are always taking an examination. There is no end to learning... There is no real end to what can be done by whom."

- Thomas Friedman, The World is Flat