Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Help  (Read 281 times)

thor5517

• View Profile
    • Email
Law School Help
« on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
3.5 undergraduate gpa, 157 on LSAT.  What schools would I have a chance of getting  a full ride? and should I go for money or prestige any advice would be great!

Thanks

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Help
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Lawschoolnumbers.com is probably the best site to answer admission questions like this. You can see what numbers get you scholarships at certain schools.

In regards to the prestige question with a 3.5 157 you will probably get admitted into low tier 2 schools at best and be offered a substantial scholarship at a tier 3/4 school. In my opinion when faced with that decision you should take the money. This is because the U.S. News rankings outside the top 20 or so schools fluctuates so dramatically year by year that it is pointless. Look at the rankings and you will see how absurd it is like my personal favorite the current 11 way tie for 84th place. Realistically nobody cares that much if you go to the 83rd or 112th best school so take the money or go a school with in-state tuition if that is a possibility.

Now another to consider if you are offered a scholarship be careful of the conditions on the scholarship. Many school require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA, which to anyone that is offered a law school scholarship seems easy because you likely got above a 3.0 without breaking a sweat. This is not the way law school works and everybody got a 3.0 without breaking a sweat and the way law school grades are setup is that generally only %35 of the first year class can get a 3.0.  So remember to really take the conditions of any scholarship you get into consideration.

Well hopefully that helps somewhat and good luck to you .