Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study strategy and mindset for the LSAT?  (Read 736 times)

testperformance

• View Profile
Study strategy and mindset for the LSAT?
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am working on a new prep course for the LSAT, and I was hoping to get opinions from some of you that are studying or have already taken the test. I'm not selling anything, I just want to know what you think of the test, and how you feel going into it. Your input can help me shape the program and allow me to make it public sooner. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everyone.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/LSATTestSurvey

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Study strategy and mindset for the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
Hi,

I started studying for the LSAT about 4 weeks ago. The first two weeks I used the PR book and then about 2 weeks ago I started the Kaplan books.

I personally have noticed that I do much better when there is a clear and distinct methodical approach that is general enough to tackle any LSAT question within the given section/question type parameter.

This being said, it seems that the Kaplan books offer much more of this "methodical" approach than the PR book (it sorta lets you figure it out for yourself.)

So the short answer: methodical approach that works every time.

Also, its so important to build - again, something that the PR book wasn't the best at. Just like a math class I like techniques to build on each other. You have to master level 1 before you master level 2 of the "methodical approach." Then when you get to level 4 you are still practicing level 1, 2 and 3. This way you do not need to re-read major sections or figure things out for yourself.

Once you have the method down in the student, then apply it to efficiency - how to get time down.

Finally, include a practice section with tips on how to self analyze (again, a method would help).

I hope that helps?