Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Well, I got into law school...  (Read 9656 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Well, I got into law school...
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »
And what do you suppose the employment status of those unknown/non-replys is?  I would bet it is overwhelmingly "unemployed" or "underemployed."

Seems like a pretty safe bet. 

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 02:27:13 AM »
And that cost won't change until (1) people stop flooding the schools with applications, and (2) loan money is not made so readily available.  Schools are responding to a (ill-conceived) demand, their seats are full and more schools are being opened.  Until the bubble bursts they will keep lowering the bar for admission.  Heck, Cooley is opening ANOTHER campus in FL.  At $1,200/credit hour that is like printing money.

Hi Hamilton. Up until maybe 20 years ago, when a person entered law school, he or she embarked on a path that most mortals could only dream about. Only a special few got into law school, and by limiting admission to that certain few, the profession preserved its elitism. But the elitism of being an attorney is eroding what with so many new lawyers flooding the market. In some respects, I think it's a good thing. Society holds all citizens accountable for knowing and applying the law in their own lives and in the lives of others you can't cause injury to another's person or property without legal consequences. Since everyone is under the same yoke, how is society improved by limiting access to the formal study of law to just a select few? Granted, more attorneys reduces the prospect of attaining substantial wealth from the practice of law, but at least more people may find access to the law if the glut of lawyers drives down the price of representation.  Law schools could easily maintain the elite social status of being an attorney by doubling or tripling their current tuition rates and abandoning all student loan programs. This would place the education out of the reach of the majority of people seeking admission. But under that scenario, the only people who would be able to study law would be the most wealthy among us. And they would also be the only ones with any access to it. That isn't right. There is definitely a shortage of jobs for new attorneys, but too many people express too much worry about whether other law students will be able to find jobs, it seems to me. If I can borrow from Clint Eastwood, it's what we know about ourselves inside that makes us worry.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »
Duncan - no disagreement on your points.  What you are stating then (if I may) is that law is really just another specialized profession requiring additional education and certification (i.e. pass the bar).  I agree.  If law is not an elite highly-selective profession with a very high bar for admission, schools should stop charging tuition as if it is.  I'm no elitist, I am a t3/4 grad who "survived" financially, personally, and professionally.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »
Duncanjp, follow me to the Batmobile. You are needed in: Are CBA schools a joke?  Hurry!!!
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Duncanjp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Duncanjp, follow me to the Batmobile. You are needed in: Are CBA schools a joke?  Hurry!!!

I still like the 1960s Batmobile the best, but the Dark Knight's was pretty cool, too. Except, c'mon: bullets would've popped those balloon tires easily. I ask you.

CalGal27,
This has been a pretty thorough and completely enjoyable, perhaps even meaningful, discussion for a thread. Thank you. Have you changed your decision one way or the other about where and whether to proceed with law school?

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
I thought you might appreciate that :).  Sorry to make you the resident expert on non ABAs, but you do seem to know more about them than the rest of us.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."