Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Well, I got into law school...  (Read 9408 times)

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I got into law school...
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
And that cost won't change until (1) people stop flooding the schools with applications, and (2) loan money is not made so readily available.  Schools are responding to a (ill-conceived) demand, their seats are full and more schools are being opened.  Until the bubble bursts they will keep lowering the bar for admission.  Heck, Cooley is opening ANOTHER campus in FL.  At $1,200/credit hour that is like printing money.

The original sub issue was the crippling cost of law school.  I, in no way, contest its a sh.. ton of debt and makes life harsh for decades.  In an ironic way we are making the pro non accredited argument stronger.  Look at us ABA school fools arguing over and trying to manage our crippling debt.  I laugh with you, ha.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
Cooley is opening another campus in FL.  Are you serious?  I didn't know that.  It is already, by far, the largest law school in the US.  How many new law schools does that make for FL in the past 5 years, 5?  Too fast, way too fast.

Law school has become a business.  Some don't even hide their "for profit" intentions anymore.  Did you hear about the suit against Thomas Jefferson from a former student who argues she couldn't find a job?  Thomas Jefferson, isn't even that bad of a school in terms of employment. 

There are ABA schools out there with less then %50 employment.   In one thread (somewhere on LSD, I can't remember where) an OP asked about Appalachian School of Law.  Another poster posted a link to the school's stats, %40 weren't reported and of the %60 percent that were, less than %50 were employed.  The school openly states that its intentions in opening was to save the town it is in and not to train and supply lawyers.  A prime example, showing the consequences of your point.  I think I even said, how can anyone sue Tommy J and not sue Appalachian.  That school must have thousands of unemployed alums, fricking thousands.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
yep: http://www.cooley.edu/newsevents/2011/080811_cooley_opens_tampa_campus.html

And with their lawsuit against bloggers and anonymous commenters they are learning about the "Striesand Effect."

Cooley is opening another campus in FL.  Are you serious?  I didn't know that.  It is already, by far, the largest law school in the US.  How many new law schools does that make for FL in the past 5 years, 5?  Too fast, way too fast.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »

And with their lawsuit against bloggers and anonymous commenters they are learning about the "Striesand Effect."

[/quote]
[/quote]

Please elaborate on this.  I can think of a few applications.  What do you mean? 

700 new students?  I don't know what to say.  How can they fit in FL with FL Coastal, FL A&M, FL International (which I heard has a pretty decent program, btw), Ava Marie, and Barry- all brand new schools to FL?  Not to mention the bunch that have been there for awhile.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
Quoted from Wikipedia:  "The Streisand effect is a primarily online phenomenon in which an attempt to hide or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicizing the information more widely. It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, whose attempt in 2003 to suppress photographs of her residence inadvertently generated further publicity.
Similar attempts have been made, for example, in cease-and-desist letters, to suppress numbers, files and websites. Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks."

Here, Cooley sued a blogger and commenters to protect their reputation.  As a result, news of the suit and the claims being made about Cooley have just garnered MORE attention. http://www.cooley.edu/newsevents/2011/071411_Cooley_Protects_Alumni_Students_and_Reputation.html
Many more people are "discussing" them online and pointing out that they did not retain any Cooley grads to defend themselves.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
Cooley looks like a good place to get an LLM.  They say they are in the top ten nationwide using their own raking system.  Are they going to sue us here?  We need to be careful. Shhhhhhhhh. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
Cooley looks like a good place to get an LLM.  They say they are in the top ten nationwide using their own raking system.  Are they going to sue us here?  We need to be careful. Shhhhhhhhh.

Wow, they really need to imrpve their top 10 LLM program so that it matches the caliber of their #2 rated Law School.  (Disclaimer:  please don't sue me for disparaging what is obviously an unfairly under-rated LLM program.)

In Cooley's defense though, although they appear to admit nearly everybody, they don't appear to be a school that'll graduate just anybody.  Their scholarships are pretty generous, too.  Just sayin'. 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
I'm sure some people go to Cooley and love it and find good jobs.   
It's insanely risky to go there though because of the overall job market.  Here are some statistics from NALP for the national class of 2010. 

The overall employment rate of the Class of 2010 nine months after graduation was 87.6 percent, the lowest since 1996. NALP calculates this employment rate based on graduates whose status is known, counting all types of jobs as employment. If you apply the new US News methodology, which is based on the total number of graduates, the overall nine-month employment rate for the 192 law schools reporting falls to 84.1 percent.

Only 71 percent of the jobs reported by the Class of 2010 were both full-time and permanent.

Only 50.9 percent of 2010 grads reporting working for private law firms, a drop of five percentage points from the Class of 2009.
The percentage of private practice jobs with large (500+ attorney) firms fell from 25.6 percent in 2009 to 20.5 percent in 2010.

Of the Class of 2010 graduates for whom employment was known, nationally only 68.4 percent obtained a job for which bar passage is required. This is the lowest "bar passage required" percentage NALP has ever measured.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
And what do you suppose the employment status of those unknown/non-replys is?  I would bet it is overwhelmingly "unemployed" or "underemployed." 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »
I'm sure some people go to Cooley and love it and find good jobs.   

Not sure I'd go so far as to say that...

Of the Class of 2010 graduates for whom employment was known, nationally only 68.4 percent obtained a job for which bar passage is required. This is the lowest "bar passage required" percentage NALP has ever measured.

Wow, now that's just effin' scary.