Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton Review RC is... Questionable  (Read 399 times)

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Princeton Review RC is... Questionable
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I recently began studying for the lsat (about 3 weeks ago). I am going for the high 160s - hopefully breaking 170 (note, there is no particular rush, I'm probably going to take this after graduate school - maybe even after some work exp.). I went through the whole princeton review book (minus the practice tests) and am left very disappointed on the RC section. Granted I am still just getting used to what the test looks like and answering the questions, let alone completing it in a reasonable time - but I feel like it is not all that comprehensive. The RC section is about 1/6 of the size of the book while the Arguments and Logic Games sections take up 1/2. I bought the Kaplan book on Reading Comprehension and just in the first two chapters am blown away with the amount of knowledge and methodology they are covering.

Thats my rant. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Princeton Review RC Sucks...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Unfortunately, TPR's strength is in their courses, not in their retail books.  A lot of people have said the Manhattan RC book is really good (I haven't read it yet).

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Princeton Review RC is... Questionable
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
I actually took a PR course for SAT and ended up dropping my score from when I started the class - haha.

That being said I know a lot of friends that the course helped. I bought the PR LSAT book because I used the PR GRE book with great success (780 out of 800 on math section).

So far I bought the PR Workout Book (have yet to start it), 10 LSAT Actual Tests and all the Kaplan Books (RC, LR and LG). I am really liking the Kaplan Books, it is outlining a much more methodical approach while constantly building on earlier methods.

Should I also look at the powerscore material or would it be overkill? Or is there such thing as LSAT overkill?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Princeton Review RC Sucks...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
LSAT Workout is an advanced book.  I probably wouldn't mess with it until you're consistently hitting in the mid 160s.  It's got fake questions designed to be harder than the real test.  Normally you should avoid fake questions entirely.  These, however, I think are really well written in the games and RC sections.  The arguments, frankly, are not very good, and I'd just ignore them.