School Specific Boards > Western State College of Law

oL at Western State

(1/3) > >>

Cher1300:
Anyone starting Western State in the Fall?  OL here starting part-time evening.   :)

LegalFielder:
Uh oh, if you still have time then you should not enroll at Western State. 

SoCalLawGuy:
Why not, LegalFielder? I've never heard of bad reviews for Western State. Then again, it wasn't recommended to me either but seriously, why is it a bad idea ?

Maintain FL 350:

--- Quote from: SoCalLawGuy on September 20, 2012, 03:04:43 AM ---Why not, LegalFielder? I've never heard of bad reviews for Western State. Then again, it wasn't recommended to me either but seriously, why is it a bad idea ?

--- End quote ---

I didn't go to WSU, but my understanding is that they have a GPA policy that leads to very high attrition. All law schools are competitive and employ a grading curve, but I believe that WSU also requires students to maintain a certain GPA in specific core courses. I interned alongside a WSU student a couple of years ago and she said it made for a very high stress environment. (All law schools are high stress around exam time, but this sounded worse).

OTOH, the high attrition rates have helped WSU to increases its bar pass rates. I have mixed feelings about those types of policies. According to LSAC, attrition for the first, second, and third years combined was 52%. Of that, roughly 3/4 was due to academic attrition. That's pretty crazy.

Cher1300:
The gpa policy is actually called Foundation Law Points.  It has been very stressful wondering whether or not I got one after finals.  The requirement is that you must get a certain number of 2.5s in courses tested on the bar exam.  What is crazy is that you can have a decent gpa, even be on moot court, and be dismissed for not obtaining the required foundation points.  Part-time students must have 1 by the end of their 3rd semester or will be dismissed.  If a student does not have 4 by the end of their second year part-time, they will be dismissed.   Full time students must have 4 FLP's by the end of their first year or will be on probation regardless of their cumulative gpa.  If not, they are on probation and must get the 4 points prior to the end of their third semester or will be dismissed.  All students must have 8 FLP's when they graduate. As mentioned above, I believe the policy is done to have high bar passage rates for the school since they admit students with lower gpa's and LSAT scores.   Some students have no problem and get FLP's every semester, but many don't.  Hence the high attrition rate.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version