Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Schools who give in state residency after year 1  (Read 646 times)

ruprecht

• View Profile
Schools who give in state residency after year 1
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
I have been trying to research which state schools will allow Law students to obtain in state status after year 1.  Most schools I have called are rather evasive about this issue.  I am particularly intersted in Idaho, Oregon, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Houston, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. 

I would consider other state schools if I knew which ones allowed in state residency. 

This is more of an exclusion criteria than anything else.  I am not concerned about the quality of the school itself until I get some info on this issue.

Thanks in advance.  I'm very grateful for all I have learned from this site since I started viewing.

rbot

• View Profile
Re: Schools who give in state residency after year 1
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »
(University of) Georgia Law makes it pretty easy to get residency after the first year, as long as you do the right paperwork (e.g. get a driver's license, register a car) shortly after you move to Georgia.

Here's their site on it: http://www.law.uga.edu/georgia-residency

You may also find this TLS guide to residency useful: http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-residency.html

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
I remember Florida International University saying they would and it is only 11k a year I believe and in Miami. I seriously considered going there because of the LOW cost and I think it is very wise to find schools offering in state-tuition. I also believe University of North Dakota and South Dakota would give it to you and there tuition is only 6k and cost of living is super cheap. They are ABA schools and you can get out with minimal debt if you can handle that kind of weather.

ruprecht

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
I remember Florida International University saying they would and it is only 11k a year I believe and in Miami. I seriously considered going there because of the LOW cost and I think it is very wise to find schools offering in state-tuition. I also believe University of North Dakota and South Dakota would give it to you and there tuition is only 6k and cost of living is super cheap. They are ABA schools and you can get out with minimal debt if you can handle that kind of weather.

Thanks guys.  In researching this I keep hearing conflicting things.   I have heard yes on 2L in state on North Dakota but no on South Dakota.  Perusing other threads I have found some info about certain states.

If anybody else knows anything I would be very grateful.  At this point I would specifically like to get further info on Idaho and Oregon if anybody knows. 

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
William S. Boyd (UNLV)  in Nevada.